Leading Research Institution in Latin America Joins Growing List of SGI Customers; SGI Earns Industry Recognition and Prestigious Awards at Supercomputing 2015 Event
AUSTIN, TX -- (Marketwired) -- Nov 17, 2015 -- Today at the Supercomputing 2015 Conference (SC15), SGI (NASDAQ: SGI), a global leader in high-performance solutions for compute, data analytics and data management, announced that more customers than ever are choosing SGI to address the most challenging issues of our time. Over the last year, SGI has increased its global high performance computing (HPC) footprint with new customers including: NASA, Idaho National Laboratory, Department of Defense, IT4Innovations national supercomputing center, Japan Atomic Energy Agency, and PETRONAS. These organizations have selected SGI to deliver new insights, further ground-breaking research and offer advanced modeling capabilities. In addition, SGI received three coveted HPCwire Readers' and Editors' Choice awards which recognize outstanding performance and new product offerings in the competitive HPC industry.
"SGI has had a legacy of innovation -- focusing on delivering the industry's most scalable and efficient production HPC systems to help our customers solve incredibly complex problems in less time," said Jorge Titinger, president and CEO, SGI. "By offering the world's largest shared memory and distributed systems that are easy to use and manage, we are seeing more customers than ever selecting our technology. We are thrilled to increase our customer base in the HPC industry and work with leading research institutions and organizations to enable organizations to face the most challenging problems in the world today."
Highlights of SGI's recent HPC momentum includes:
- CINVESTAV - SGI will deliver one of Mexico's fastest and most energy efficient supercomputers to a leading research institution, the Center for Research and Advanced Studies of the National Polytechnic Institute (CINVESTAV). CINVESTAV selected an SGI® ICE™ X supercomputer to enhance the country's computing capabilities for highly complex scientific, technological, economic, and social research projects.
- AWE - The UK's Atomic Weapons Establishment (AWE) completed its installation of two of SGI's record-breaking high performance computing (HPC) systems, the SGI ICE XA. The new system, comprises of two SGI ICE XA systems, integrates into AWE's existing production HPC system utilizing two SGI ICE X systems. The new installation will significantly increase the organization's supercomputing performance and enable AWE to further develop its complex scientific and technological capabilities, such as scientific modelling.
- TOP500 - A growing number of the world's most powerful production supercomputers in use today are SGI HPC systems. Over the last two years, SGI has increased its standing in the TOP500 supercomputing list from 17 to 31 systems, or by 82 percent. In addition, a SGI supercomputer was ranked the most power efficient industry standard system in the November 2015 TOP500 list. These TOP500 machines include TOTAL's Pangea, the largest commercial HPC system in the world used to identify oil and gas reserves below the surface and the Department of Defense's HPC project which improves mission critical research throughout the US Armed Forces.
- Intel® Omni-Path Architecture - SGI is among the first companies to adopt Intel's new Omni-Path Architecture integrated network fabric, into the SGI ICE XA and SGI also offers it as an option in the SGI Rackable® Solutions to ensure customers keep pace with the evolving workload demands in the HPC community. This new fabric, an element of Intel® Scalable System Framework, complements the SGI existing InfiniBand (FDR and EDR) networking fabrics to address the wide range of new high performance data analysis, machine learning, and visualization workloads, while still serving the growing demands of traditional modeling and simulation workloads.
In addition, SGI was recognized in the annual HPCwire Readers' and Editors' Choice Awards, presented at SC15. The prestigious awards are determined through a rigorous nomination and voting process across the global HPCwire community, as well as selections from the HPCwire editors. SGI was recognized with the following honors:
- Readers' Choice - Top 5 Vendors to Watch: SGI
- Readers' Choice - Best Use of High Performance Data Analytics: Stephen Hawking Centre for Theoretical Cosmology, Cambridge University, DiRAC STFC uses the first Intel® Xeon Phi®-enabled SGI® UV™ 2000.
- Editors' Choice - Best HPC Visualization Product or Technology: SGI VizServer® system with NICE DCV software
"HPCwire readers are among the most informed in the HPC community and these awards are ultimately given to the organizations that are making the greatest impact in advancing technology and humanity itself through high performance computing," said Tom Tabor, CEO of Tabor Communications, publisher of HPCwire. "The HPCwire Readers' and Editors' Choice Awards send a strong message of support and appreciation from those in the global HPC community. We are proud to be able to recognize these efforts each your and our congratulations go out to all the winners."
More information on these awards can be found at the HPCwire website (http://www.HPCwire.com) or on Twitter through the following hashtag: #HPCwireAwards.
SGI at SC15
Please visit the SGI booth (#1033) to learn more about SGI's commitment to production supercomputers that provide best in class application performance scaling, ease of use, and leading density with unrivalled power and system management features. The booth will feature:
- An SGI ICE XA - Extending SGI's technology leadership, the SGI ICE XA system enables scientists, researchers and engineers to achieve and accelerate computational breakthroughs at petascale, allowing faster time to discovery.
- An SGI UV 3000 - These systems are designed for compute-intensive, fast algorithm workloads such as CAE, genome assembly, and scientific simulations for problems that don't fit into clusters' memory.
- An SGI UV 300 - SGI UV 300 and SGI UV 30EX servers are designed for data-intensive, I/O heavy workloads such as data analytics, visualization, and real-time streaming.
- Technology demonstrations including the recently unveiled the SGI Zero Copy Architecture ™ platform, a solution that removes the need for customers to copy results before analysis.
- Product demonstrations including SGI's recently announced MEMlog™ software.
- Various customer demonstrations, such as NASA's stunning GFSC visualization.
HPCwire is the #1 news and information resource covering the fastest computers in the world and the people who run them. With a legacy dating back to 1986, HPCwire has enjoyed a legacy of world-class editorial and journalism, making it the news source of choice selected by science, technology and business professionals interested in high performance and data-intensive computing. Visit HPCwire at www.hpcwire.com.
SGI is a global leader in high performance solutions for compute, data analytics and data management that enable customer to accelerate time to discovery, innovation and profitability. Visit sgi.com (sgi.com/) for more information.
©2015 Silicon Graphics International Corp. All rights reserved. SGI, the SGI logo, SGI ICE, SGI UV, Rackable, Vizserver, MEMlog and Zero Copy Architecture are trademarks or registered trademarks of Silicon Graphics International Corp. or its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries. Intel and Xeon are registered trademarks of Intel Corporation in the United States and other countries. All other product and service names mentioned are the trademarks of their respective owners.
SGI PR Contact: Grayling Public Relations Jessie Adams-Shore (415) 593-1400 [email protected] SGI Investor Relations Contact: Ben Liao (669) 900-8090 [email protected] HPCwire Contact: Tabor Communications Isaac Lopez (858) 480-1472
NewsMaker is an Australian Press Release Distribution and Social Media Marketing service founded in 2004. The company today represents over 22,000 brands who seek to share their content with journalists, bloggers and the community.
P: +61 414 69 70 71