Not only do more than 32 percent of Americans grapple with an attachment disturbance, it’s arguably the primary driver behind many seeking therapy in the first place. It’s relationship problems, rather than psychiatric conditions, which inspire a majority to seek help from a therapist, and conflicting forms of attachment is often the hidden trigger behind romantic conflict.
The Attachment Project shows that healing is possible, and its Three Pillars Approach is the key. Channelling the insights of Dr. Daniel P Brown, an award-winning expert on treating attachment disturbances, the Three Pillars present a clear and comprehensive path towards healing patients who are grappling with issues relating to attachment.
Pillar #1: The Ideal Parent Figure Protocol
The Ideal Parent Figure Protocol (IPF) draws upon ideal parent-figure imagery, to help the patient develop a new internal model of secure attachment that is both stable and positive. It’s an essential step that helps foster feelings of safety, support and “being seen” within the patient.
In contrast to traditional approaches to treatment, the IPF pillar is focussed on the patient’s relationship with an attachment figure, instead of with the therapist themself.
“The therapist helps the patient to evoke and engage with imagery of positive attachment figures, and of a secure attachment experience with those figures,” explains Dr. Brown. “The repetition and elaboration of contact with this imagery establishes a new internal model, or map, of secure attachment.”
Pillar #2: Fostering Metacognitive Skills
This pillar promotes an awareness in the patient’s of their internal experience and state of mind. This involves the therapist drawing attention to their patients’ negative self-talk and questioning its underlying assumptions. The goal is to to develop self-awareness in the patient, for them to acknowledge the impact of their past and strive for balanced interdependent relationships.
Pillar #3: Encouraging verbal and nonverbal collaborative behaviour
The third pillar stems from the notion that attachment disturbances have a negative impact on how we relate to others, and in response assists with fostering constructive communication. This involves verbally communicating with others in a healthy fashion, as well as actively listening. The result is the patient patient develops healthy communication in relation to their attachment style, and further still, is able to replicate these functional models in their day-to-day life.
What Do the Three-Pillars Add Up To?
"A significant decrease in symptom severity and attachment traumatization and a significant increase in quality of life were found, both with medium-to-large effect sizes. The 8-month follow-up assessment showed outcome stability." Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5700488/
The impact of Attachment Disturbances is felt in all parts of society. Learn a proven method for helping your patients repair their disturbances. A complete path to Secure Attachment with 10hrs clinical training that is eligible for CE Credits*. With award-winning author and psychology expert Dr. Daniel P Brown.
ABOUT DR BROWN:
- Daniel Brown, Ph.D. is Associate Clinical Professor of Psychology at Harvard Medical School and has served on the faculty for over 38 years.
- A senior meditation master, Dr. Brown has trained and taught with top Indo-Tibetan Bon & Buddhist lamas for more than 48 years, including lineage holders from some of the great schools of Buddhism.
- An author of 24 books, and winner of the 1999 Guttmacher Award from the American Psychiatric Association and the American Academy of Psychiatry & Law for outstanding contribution to forensic psychiatry.
- As an expert legal witness, Dr. Brown has testified in over 200 child abuse cases and served as an expert witness for prosecutors at the International War Crimes Tribunal, helping them establish a standard of evidence for victims of war atrocities.
- Dr. Brown Co-Founded the Attachment Project based on the foundations of his award-winning book Attachment Disturbances in Adults: Treatment for Comprehensive Repair.
- The Three Pillars treatment method has garnered praise across the scientific and medical community, which was the recipient of the 2018 ISST-D Pierre Janet Writing Award.
MindOnly Pty Ltd
MindOnly unites the very best of Western Psychotherapy and Positive Psychology with the wisdom of the Eastern Contemplative Traditions.