Friday, March 27th, 2015
Five leading University of Adelaide researchers have been recognised for their outstanding contributions to medical research by being elected Fellows of the new Australian Academy of Health and Medical Sciences.
The Academy, which brings together the nation’s best minds in their fields, aims to promote health and medical research and its translation into practice, to enable a healthier community in Australia and the world.
Among the new Fellows elected to the Academy are five University of Adelaide research leaders:
• Professor Michael Horowitz, University of Adelaide Professor of Medicine and Director of the NHMRC Centre of Research Excellence in Translating Nutritional Science to Good Health.
• Professor Timothy Hughes, the University of Adelaide's Cancer Council Beat Cancer Project Professor and Cancer Theme Leader at the South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute (SAHMRI).
• Professor Maria Makrides, Healthy Mothers, Babies and Children Theme Leader at SAHMRI and Director of the University of Adelaide's Women's and Children's Health Research Institute.
• Professor Stephen Nicholls, Professor of Cardiology at the University of Adelaide and Heart Health Theme Leader at SAHMRI.
• Professor Robert Norman, Professor for Reproductive and Periconceptual Medicine at the University of Adelaide, past Director and research leader with the University's Robinson Research Institute.
"All of our new Fellows are internationally regarded at the highest levels in their fields, with decades of experience and a commitment to improved health in the community," says the University's Executive Dean of the Faculty of Health Sciences, Professor Alastair Burt.
"Each of the Fellows represent a key area of health and medical research strength for the University – such as the current and future health of mothers and babies, heart health, cancer research, and nutrition science – and each is playing a leadership role in these fields locally, nationally and globally.
"We welcome this opportunity for our Fellows to make a lasting contribution to the new Academy, providing high-level advice on research priorities and how to translate that research into practice, for the benefit of the community as a whole," Professor Burt says.
The University of Adelaide
Phone: +61 8 8313 0814
Academy of Health and Medical Sciences