Suggests Americans "Go Here, Not There" Next Year
BOSTON, MA -- (Marketwired) ---- Surprise, surprise, surprise -- Las Vegas, New York, Miami and L.A. are some of the most popular travel destinations for Americans according to searches on Cheapflights.com, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals. As the New Year is about to kick off, maybe it's time to start thinking of new travel destinations. To help you expand your horizon in 2015, the Cheapflights travel experts compiled a Go here, not there list offering alternative travel spots to popular vacation destinations for American travelers. For example, if you want to avoid the crowds of Disney World in Orlando, check out Buena Park, California. Planning an island getaway for 2015? You may want to consider St. Lucia instead of Hawaii. If partying is more your thing, then consider Ibiza as an alternative to Cancun. Whether your plan is to travel close to home or further abroad, consider these alternative destinations for inclusion on your must-see list in 2015.
Read on for five of our picks of fun and refreshing spots that offer similar vacation vibes to some the most frequently searched destinations on Cheapflights.com:
- Biloxi, Mississippi, instead of Las Vegas, Nevada - Roll the dice in this southern sin city, which boasts eight casino resorts serving up round-the-clock gaming and everything from upscale restaurants to headliner-laced entertainment. Top off the day with some poolside partying at one of the resorts' pool bars and lounges. With Biloxi's subtropical climate, shopping, spa services, professional golf courses, and opportunities to explore nature beyond the city, you're in for a luxurious vacation experience with a decidedly Vegas-like vibe. You won't miss the bright lights of The Strip as you take in views of the Gulf Coast from your hotel room.
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada, instead of New York, New York - You might be surprised to find out how often Ontario's capital city masquerades as the Big Apple on the silver screen: think "Cocktail" and "Serendipity." Favorite flicks aside, Toronto puts up plenty of off-screen allure that allows it to go head to head with New York: a host of cool neighborhoods to explore, a multicultural population, lots of arts and culture offerings with major live music and theater performances, a stunning skyline, a burgeoning fashion scene with both high-end and vintage shops (we're even talking an entire underground network of shopping and entertainment opportunities), and a bevy of bars you can belly up to any night until 2 a.m. -- maybe even 4 a.m. sometime soon if LastCallTO gets its way.
- Buena Park, California, instead of Orlando, Florida - There's simply just no other destination that contains Disney World, but a city known as one of the "most fun" places in America might be a close second. Home of the first theme park in the U.S. -- Knott's Berry Farm -- Buena Park sits just southeast of L.A. This entertainment-laden locale serves up more than 165 rides, performances and other attractions, a seasonal 13-acre water park and family-friendly dinner shows. You can even get a touch of Disney magic with a visit to Knott's Berry Farm's Camp Snoopy. Beyond the theme park fun, the city features a Historic District, museums and nearby beaches. And if you still feel like you need a little actual Disney, Disneyland is only about a 10-minute drive away.
- St. Lucia instead of Hawaii - Skip Hawaii and say "aloha" to the island of St. Lucia. This tropical Caribbean paradise gives vacationers a combination often sought after in The Aloha State -- adventure and relaxation. St. Lucia's rugged coastline, lush, enchanting scenery and romantic vibe mimic many a Hawaiian hot spot. Trade luaus for beach barbeques, those famous Hawaiian tunes for St. Lucia's popular folk music and the hula for Caribbean dance. Tour -- or even book a room at -- the Fond Doux Plantation where chocolate is made from the harvest of the property's cocoa groves. The island also serves up volcanoes to explore, including Sulphur Springs, a drive-in volcano. With plenty of fresh seafood caught in nearby waters, picturesque beaches and local drinks, the aloha spirit never feels very far away.
- Ibiza, Spain, instead of Cancun, Mexico - Nightlife tends to be the cornerstone of a Cancun vacation, and where better to get the same rockin' atmosphere but Ibiza. Chock full of clubs, bars and discos, this Mediterranean island off Spain's eastern coast (popular with European travelers) will not disappoint during party season, which lasts from about June to October. Summertime on the Spanish island is sure to be raucous with well-known DJs and music groups filling up the venues. Surrounded by turquoise waters, like those you'll find in Mexico, and peppered with cultural sites, Ibiza delivers more than just drinks, beats and dancing. In fact, there has been a recent push to transform Ibiza into a more family-friendly destination. But make no mistake about it, this is still party town numero uno with the clubs keeping their doors open well into the early morning hours.
Rounding out our list of "Go here, not there" options are: Cincinnati, Ohio, instead of Chicago, Illinois; Montevideo, Uruguay, instead of Miami, Florida; Belize instead of Costa Rica; Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, instead of Denver, Colorado; and Sydney, Australia, instead of Los Angeles, California. To read more about these alternatives and Cheapflights.com's complete Go here, not there: 10 alternative destinations for American Travelers, visit: www.cheapflights.com/news/go-here-not-there-10-alternative-destinations-american-travelers.
About Cheapflights.com, part of the Momondo Group
Momondo Group is an online travel media and technology company that is driven by the belief that an open world is a better world. The group now serves travel search and inspiration to over 17.5 million visitors a month -- plus 7 million travel newsletter subscribers -- via its Cheapflights (www.cheapflights.com) and momondo (www.momondo.com) brands.
Skygate began the sourcing of complex air-travel data in 1992, while Cheapflights pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users in 1996 and momondo launched meta-search in the Nordic countries in 2006.
The Group has offices in London, Copenhagen and Boston with a consumer base across more than 30 core international markets but users all over the world.
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/cheapflights
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/cheapflights
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2743176
Tel: +1 416-788-4573
E-mail: Email Contact