According to a February 2010 report by Conde Nast Traveler, 72 percent of affluent travelers are interested in customized trips where they can learn the culture and history of a destination.
The same report states that in the past year, there has been a spike in educational experiences and adventure as a motivation for travel. Conde Nast Traveler describes that adventure travel is no longer solely about risky extreme sports, but about culture, learning and experiencing life. As families plan their annual vacations,
HotelsCombined.com names the Top 10 Adventure Learning Getaways guaranteed to entertain the entire family. Whether engaging in cultural exchanges at Epcot in Orlando, Florida, hands-on programming at the California Science Center in Los Angeles, California, or costumed historical interpretations at Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia, families can rest assured that they found the best hotel deals at www.HotelsCombined.com -- the world’s largest hotel search engine and price aggregator.
HotelsCombined.com Top 10 Adventure Learning Getaways
1. Epcot - Orlando, Florida – The Epcot theme park at Walt Disney World Resort is consistently ranked a top family destination and is the perfect spot to dance along to authentic Bavarian music, discover ancient Chinese sculptures or enjoy a French film at the Palais de Cinema, all while never leaving the park! Stay at: Walt Disney World Swan Resort.
2. Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History - Washington D.C – Families will love all the fun and informative programs available at this one-of-a-kind natural history museum, including discovery stations located throughout the galleries, interactive forensic lab and a hands-on insect zoo. Stay at: The George Hotel.
3. Brookfield Zoo - Chicago, Illinois – Open every day of the year, Chicago’s renowned zoological park fosters children’s natural curiosity with the Hamill Family Play Zoo, which allows children to touch live animals, search for bugs and build animal homes. Stay at: The Carleton of Oak Park, in the same neighborhood as the zoo.
4. OCSC Sailing School - San Francisco Bay Area, California – Ideal for families with older children, the OCSC School offers a two-hour skippered “Introduction to Sailing” course that sets sail from the Berkeley Marina into the beautiful San Francisco Bay with the Golden Gate Bridge in the background. Stay at: Woodfin Suites Hotel.
5. Museum of Modern Art - New York City, New York – The MoMA offers daily family-orientated programs for young children and teens such as gallery conversations, art workshops and temporary exhibitions such as the Tim Burton gallery through April 26. Stay at: The Shoreham Hotel, a short walk from the MoMA’s midtown location.
6. Colonial Williamsburg - Williamsburg, Virginia – Families can “be present in the past” and learn about 18th century America with scores of original buildings, costumed historical interpreters, practicing blacksmiths and the famous Fifes and Drums military musicians. Stay at: Providence Hall Guesthouses.
7. California Science Center - Los Angeles, California – A fantastic place that teaches kids to enjoy science, the center’s permanent galleries provide hand-on experiences that teach children about human inventions and innovations, the cycle of life and the Earth’s ecosystem. Stay at: The Westin Bonaventure Hotel.
8. Kitty Hawk Kayak and Surf School - Outer Banks, North Carolina – Both kids and parents will earn serious bragging rights after attending this bodacious surf academy where families learn from National Surf School and Instructor Association licensed instructors at the world-renowned surf breaks of the Outer Banks. Stay at: Cambridge Cove.
9. Georgia Aquarium – Atlanta, Georgia – With more than eight million gallons of fresh and marine water, the Georgia Aquarium is the world’s largest and allows families to discover international marine life, including Australian weedy sea dragons, Japanese spider crabs and African penguins. Stay at: The Ellis Hotel.
10. NASA Space Center – Houston, Texas – The Official Visitors Center of NASA's Johnson Space Center provides children with “intelligent fun” as they learn about Mission Control, handle real Moon rocks and experience the sensation of weightlessness at the Neutral Buoyancy Lab. Stay at: Hilton Garden Inn.
Online media release: http://press.hotelscombined.com/Press-Releases/Top-10-Adventure-Learning-Getaways-2010.php
HotelsCombined.com is the world’s leading hotel search engine, with a database of more than 200,000 hotels from 195 countries. The site streamlines the largest amount of real-time international hotel deals into one simple and efficient format, aggregating prices from prominent online travel agents and hotel chains, including Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia.com, Travelocity.com, Hilton and Holiday Inn. More than 6.5 million monthly HotelsCombined.com users compare multiple hotels simultaneously and then click directly to partner websites to make a reservation. With no mark-up fees or additional booking fees, www.hotelscombined.com offers travelers a completely free and invaluable tool for finding unbeatable hotel deals.
P: +61 2 8011 4192
M: +61 403 561 344