Every six months Which Real Estate Agent surveys Australia’s best real estate agents to gauge their views on the Australian property market. The 155 agents surveyed are leading agents from Australia’s major population centres and are estimated to have assisted more than 10,000 property owners and interacted with over 400,000 potential buyers during the course of 2013.
- In NSW 47% of agents surveyed said their local market was booming, followed by 24% in WA and 17% in VIC and the ACT. This however fell to 18%, 12% and 9% respectively when asked if it would continue in 2014.
- We may be seeing the peak of the market as agents forecast reduced growth in NSW, VIC and WA in 2014 than 2013. Their colleagues in ACT, QLD, SA and TAS were more bullish for 2014.
- Women call the shots when selling real estate – 32% of Australia’s top agents see women as the primary decision maker when selling property versus only 4% of agents see males taking charge. The remainder of agents witness a collaborative effort.
- Agents are among Australia’s hardest working professionals, despite their generally negative reputation – the average survey respondent works more than 60 hours per week, putting them amongst the top 10% of Australians for hours worked according to the ABS.
- Ignore the seasons, the best time to sell is when convenient – while 21% of agents think spring is the best season in which to sell, the overriding recommendation by 27% of agents is to sell when convenient.
"“The theme from this national survey appears to be that agents on the whole forecast continued strong growth for the Australian property market in 2014, with 84% of agents forecasting growth rates above 5%."
"Australia’s leading agents appear to be making the most of the buoyant market working on average more than 60 hours a week. This however comes at a cost with almost half the respondents saying that managing their work life balance was one of their major concerns.”
“Interestingly agents confirmed what few men will acknowledge, that women call the shots on one of life’s big decisions. Eight times as many agents witness women as the dominant decision maker over their male counterparts. This one finding was fairly consistent across the country.” says Which Real Estate Agent’s Managing Director Thomas Roberts.
Full Survey Findings
Refer to full press release for other findings including agent commissions, concerns and buyer demographic insights by state.
Which Real Estate Agent
Which Real Estate Agent is an analytical firm that helps Australians make smart real estate decisions. In 2014 the company assisted over 2,000 clients across Australia evaluate their local real estate agents.
Visit http://whichrealestateagent.com.au to find out more.