With stirring citizenship and award ceremonies, an egg & bacon fry-up, giant thongs, mighty utes and a massive ‘Aussie vs Poms’ live cricket telecast, all on our gorgeous foreshore, Glenelg offers the quintessentially Aussie Australia Day!
The City of Holdfast Bay Concert Band is warming up to play the national anthem, fundraisers are inflating giant yellow thongs to take to the sea, power utes are revving their engines for a huge Ute Muster, and massive LED screens are arriving in Colley Reserve to stream all the One-Day Cricket action live from Adelaide Oval… Glenelg is set to celebrate Australia Day in beachside Aussie style!
Taking place on Brian Nadilo Reserve - Ngutinilla (lawns in front of the Glenelg Surf Life Saving Club), the City of Holdfast Bay Australia Day celebrations kick off at 7.00am on Sunday 26 January with a bacon and egg breakfast on sale through local Kiwanis. The official ceremony commences at 9.30am and will include the traditional Citizenship Ceremony and Australia Day Awards and a special address by our Australia Day Ambassador, acclaimed former journalist and editor, Des Ryan.
Special guests Dr Duncan McFetridge MP, Member for Morphett and Mr Matt Williams MP, Member for Hindmarsh will see three Australia Day Awards presented by City of Holdfast Bay Mayor, Dr Ken Rollond, while six people receive Community Recognition Awards and 64 people from 17 different countries of origin take their oaths to become Australian citizens. After the formal ceremonies, the Australia Day celebrations continue at the Bay, with:
· 2014 Havaianas Australia Day Thong Challenge, 10am–4pm (register from 8am), Glenelg Beach. More info: havaianasthongchallenge.com.au
· Sprint Auto Parts Australia Day Ute Muster, 8am–4pm, Wigley Reserve, Free exhibition. More info: adelaideutes.com.au/events
· Carlton Mid Ultimate One Dayer Live Site, 1pm–10.30pm, Colley Reserve. Gather around giant LED screens and watch Australia wallop (who said that?) play England at this great event featuring a community BBQ; fun, free family games and activities; appearances by Australian cricketing greats; and a chance to win up to $2,500 with fast bowling legend, Merv Hughes.
For comments please contact: Mayor Rollond on 0408 803 831 and/or Mr Des Ryan on 0419 819 302.
AUSTRALIA DAY AT THE BAY FAST FACTS
OFFICIAL HOLDFAST BAY CEREMONIES
· Community breakfast (on sale through Kiwanis) starts at 7am
· Official Holdfast Bay ceremonies start at 9.30am on Sunday 26 January at the Brian Nadilo Reserve - Ngutinilla (lawns in front of the Glenelg Surf Life Saving Club)
· Australia Day Ambassador is former journalist and editor, Mr Des Ryan
· 64 people from 17 different countries of origin (Bangladesh, Canada, China, Egypt, France, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Korea, Philippines, Scotland, Somalia, South Africa, Thailand, United Kingdom, USA and Vietnam) will take their oaths to become Australian citizens.
AUSTRALIA DAY AT THE BAY: CELEBRATE SAFELY
“We encourage residents and visitors alike to enjoy a safe and happy Australia Day at the Bay,” says Mayor Rollond.
“While you’re celebrating Australia Day at the Bay, be mindful of your safety and that of your family and friends: drink plenty of water, use sun protection and observe our dry zones. In working together we can all enjoy a safe and fun Australia Day.”
Permanent Long-Term Regulated Dry Zones exist at Glenelg, Seacliff & Brighton.
The following two locations have also been declared Short-Term Dry Zones under the regulations
· Angus Neil Reserve (Seacliff) and the adjacent beach area(s) – between the hours of 12:01am Saturday 25 January 2014 and 12:01am Tuesday 27 January 2014
· Tarniwarra Park (Glenelg North) - between the hours of 12:01am Sunday 26 January 2014 and 12:01am Monday 27 January 2014.
OTHER PHOTO OPPS / EVENTS OF INTEREST
The Adelaide Airport Brighton Jetty Classic Sculptures
8am – 6pm, Wednesday 22 January to Sunday 2 February 2013, Brighton Surf Club, Bindarra Reserve and Brighton Foreshore. A sculpture exhibition/competition involving over 100 exhibits including both indoor and outdoor sculptures, including the "Sculpture Walk" along the Esplanade (with beautiful Brighton Beach as the backdrop).
Masters Surf Life Saving Carnival
Team events on the beach, a BBQ sausage sizzle and Australian music. 8am – 1pm, Brighton Surf Life Saving Club. Call Mr Wayne Jones on 0418 800 921.
Corporate Communications and Media Coordinator
City of Holdfast Bay
P 08 8229 9874
M 0400 143 912
E [email protected]
Brighton Civic Centre
24 Jetty Road, Brighton SA 5048