All eyes will be on Memorial Drive from tomorrow as legendary players take to the court for the 2014 World Tennis Challenge.
18-time Grand Slam tournament winner Martina Navratilova headlines a stellar line up of international stars including Martina Hingis, Pat Cash, Mats Wilander, Yannick Noah and Henri Leconte.
Dual US Open singles champion Tracy Austin and Australia’s Nicole Bradtke are also making their World Tennis Challenge debuts this week.
Tourism Minister Leon Bignell said the World Tennis Challenge was a fantastic way to kick off January’s sporting calendar.
“The event brings a world-class field of past and present tennis champions to Adelaide, and it’s also a great event to showcase the redeveloped Riverbank precinct,” he said.
“Last year 15,500 spectators turned out across the three-day event, and its global broadcast reached a further 5.6 million people.
“And it generated $4.7 million for the South Australian economy.
“At this year’s World Tennis Challenge, spectators will see all 12 tennis greats play every night across the two courts at Memorial Drive in a combination of singles and doubles matches.”
Minister Bignell said the State Government, through Events South Australia, had been a proud supporter of the World Tennis Challenge since it began in 2009.
“I encourage locals and visitors alike to come along and be entertained by some of the biggest names in world tennis, along with emerging stars including South Australia’s own Thanasi
Kokkinakis,” he said.
The 2014 World Tennis Challenge is held from January 7-9 at Memorial Drive, and starts at 6:30pm each night.
Tickets to the event are available through Ticketek. For more information please visit www.worldtennischallenge.com