August sales figures produced yet another record sales month for Hyundai Motor Company Australia, its 15th consecutive month of year-on-year growth, with 7,808 units sold and a total market share of 8.4%.
Hyundai finished the month fourth place overall in the market, ahead of Ford, Mitsubishi and Nissan, a testament to the depth of the current Hyundai product range. For passenger car sales, Hyundai’s total of 5,343 vehicles also placed it fourth with a market share of 11.1%.
ix35 continues to be the number one selling Small SUV YTD, again leading the segment in August with 1,692 units sold and a market share of 27.4%. Hyundai also topped the Light Car segment with i20 and Accent combining for 1,466 units (15% market share) for the month.
Three Hyundai models finished second in their segments – Sport Cars, People Movers and Vans with Veloster, iMax and iLoad respectively – and third in Small Cars with i30. The i30 also finished fourth overall in passenger car sales for August with 2,552 units ahead of Holden Cruze and Toyota Camry.
An industry total of 93,336 vehicles sold for the month is down slightly compared to the same period last year (-0.2%), however YTD industry sales are up +4%. Hyundai continues its consistent growth YTD, with a rise of +5.2% for the month.
“August has seen consistent growth year-to-date of Hyundai’s sales which is very encouraging,” said Damien Meredith, Director of Sales, Hyundai Motor Company Australia. “As we head toward the last quarter in a post-election climate we will sit in good stead to realise upward momentum and remain on track for a solid year-end performance.”
Hyundai Motor Company Australia August Summary:
• Light Cars <$25k: Hyundai ranked first with combined sales of i20 (813 units) and Accent (653 units) totalling 1,466 vehicles sold and a segment share of 15.3%
• Small Cars <$40k: Hyundai ranked third with combined sales of i30 (2,552 units), up +9.1% year to date, and Elantra (695 units) totalling 3,247 vehicles sold and a segment share of 14.9%
• Medium <$60K: i40 ranked eighth with sales of 201 units (4% segment share), up +37.4% year to date
• SUV Small <$40k: ix35 ranked first with sales of 2,552 units (29.4% segment share), up +61.9% year to date
• SUV Large <$70k: Santa Fe ranked seventh with sales of 506 units (5.7% segment share), up +58.2% year to date
• Sports Cars <$80k: Veloster ranked second with sales of 307 units (17.2% segment share), up +3.4% year to date
• People Movers <$55K: iMax ranked first (second) with sales of 122 units (17.1% segment share)
• Van/CC 2.5-3.5t: iLoad ranked second with sales of 267 units (23.1% segment share)
HMC August 2013 Results
Globally, Hyundai Motor Company sold 381,429 units in August 2013, an increase of +29.1% over the same period in 2012.