Reconnect With Nature at One of Our Top 10 Enchanting Forests
BOSTON, MA -- (Marketwired)-- This year, over one billion people in more than 190 countries around the world will take part in celebrations of Earth Day. In support of this annual event, which falls on April 22, the travel experts at Cheapflights.com, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, have come up with their Top 10 Enchanting Forests featuring lush rainforests, ancient woodlands, and UNESCO-designated sites. These forests are a reminder of the beauty and diversity of nature as well as the ongoing role of such lands in the evolution of our planet.
Reconnect with nature at one of these five beautiful forests from around the world to make our list.
- Crooked Forest, Poland - Looking like it fell out of a surreal Salvador Dali painting, the Crooked Forest (Krzywy Las) outside Nowe Czarnowo, Poland, has intrigued the public for more than 80 years. The grove of about 400 pines was planted around 1930 in the former German province of Pomerania. The accepted cause of the forest's distinctive curve is some form of manmade tool or technique, but the method and motive remain unknown.
- Sagano Bamboo Forest, Japan - On the outskirts of Kyoto, Arashiyama has been a popular tourist spot since the 8th century. The park is particularly popular when the spring cherry blossoms bloom and in the autumn when the forest takes on a hue of fiery oranges and reds. Within this nationally designated Historic Site and Place of Scenic Beauty lies the impressive bamboo forest of Sagano. A path cuts through the towering bamboo grove and when the sun is shining and a gentle breeze is blowing, the setting is truly picturesque.
- Black Forest, Germany - No list of enchanting forests would be complete without the Black Forest (Schwarzwald) in Germany. This wooded mountain range in Baden-Württemberg was named by the Romans because dense conifers blocked out most of the light inside the forest. The forest is ripe with peaks, rivers, lakes, towns, waterfalls, footpaths, mountain biking and cross-country skiing trails and unique wildlife. But it's not just natural beauty on offer. The area has strong culture that includes a tradition of wood-carving (particularly Cuckoo Clocks) and food (Black Forest ham, gateau and gourmet cuisine).
- Caddo Lake, United States - Despite the name, this is one fantastic forest. Located on the border between Texas and Louisiana, Caddo Lake is a 25,400-acre maze of waterways, bayous, sloughs, channels, islands and cypress thickets dripping with Spanish moss. Named after the South Eastern Native Americans who lived in the area until their expulsion in the 19th century, the lake is home to the world's largest cypress forest. This internationally protected wetland hosts a variety of wildlife, including beavers, woodpeckers, owls and even alligators.
- Zhangjiajie National Forest Park, China - In 1982, Zhangjiajie National Forest Park was recognized as China's first national forest park. Located in Zhangjiajie City in northern China, this unique national forest was named a UNESCO Global Geopark in 2004. The most notable features of the forest are the giant pillar-like formations that are seen throughout the park. The year-round wet weather is the reason for the park's dense foliage.
Rounding out our list of fascinating woodlands from around the world are: Inyo National Forest, United States; Bia?owie?a Forest, Poland and Belarus; Daintree Rainforest, Australia; Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, Costa Rica; and Waipoua Forest, New Zealand. To read the lush details on these and Cheapflights.com's complete list of Top 10 Enchanting Forests, visit http://news.cheapflights.com/top-10-enchanting-forests.
momondo Group is an online travel media and technology company that is driven by the belief that an open world is a better world. The group now serves travel search and inspiration to over 13 million visitors a month -- plus 6 million travel newsletter subscribers -- via its Cheapflights (www.cheapflights.com) and momondo (www.momondo.com) brands.
Skygate began the sourcing of complex air-travel data in 1992, while Cheapflights pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users in 1996 and momondo launched meta-search in the Nordic countries in 2006.
The Group has offices in London, Copenhagen, Boston and Toronto, with a consumer base across 16 core international markets but users all over the world.
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/cheapflights
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/cheapflights
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2278791
M: +1 416-788-4573