Sydney, Australia – June 15th – A band of heroes facing insurmountable odds. An epic adventure of choice and sacrifice on the journey to rule. Tens of millions of faithful fans worldwide. Look out Australia, Xbox 360 is delivering the entertainment blockbusters of 2010.
On the eve of the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, Microsoft Corp. unveiled a breathtaking line up of games. “Fable III*,” “Gears of War 3*” and “Halo: Reach*” took centre stage as the biggest exclusive games, and Microsoft unveiled its newest exclusive blockbuster, code-named “Kingdoms*,” from legendary developer Crytek GmbH. Delighting audiences even further, all “Call of Duty” Game Add-on content will launch first, exclusively –on Xbox 360 through 2012, starting this November with the release of the map packs for “Call of Duty: Black Ops*.”
“With a portfolio of exclusives including ‘Alan Wake (M),’ ‘Mass Effect 2 (MA15+),’ ‘Splinter Cell Conviction (MA15+)’ and the record-breaking ‘Halo: Reach’ multiplayer beta, it’s already been an incredible year for Xbox , but we’re not slowing down,” said Phil Spencer, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios. “In the next year, we’ll continue to redefine this generation of blockbuster entertainment with the controller-free experiences of Kinect and new chapters to three of the most acclaimed sagas found only on Xbox 360: ‘Fable III,’ ‘Gears of War 3’ and the biggest game of 2010, ‘Halo: Reach.’”
With over twenty-five million passionate and engaged members, Xbox LIVE is the top destination for millions of gamers, friends and family members to experience a world of entertainment together. So, it’s no surprise that developers are rewarding members with some of the year’s greatest exclusives, Game Add-ons and experiences.
A telltale sign of the meteoric year to come, fans around the world joined Xbox 360 and Bungie in making history with record-breaking participation in the “Halo: Reach” multiplayer beta. An astounding 2.7 million fans worldwide rushed to enlist and be the first to experience what promises to be the year’s biggest game, establishing the “Halo: Reach” beta as the single most downloaded console video game beta test in history.
The release of the “ Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Stimulus Package” in March also shattered Xbox LIVE records, as more than one million gamers worldwide downloaded the new map pack from Infinity Ward in the first 24 hours alone, surpassing the two million mark in fewer than four days. Xbox LIVE is the largest “Call of Duty” community of any entertainment system.
With games for the hero, adventurer and storyteller within us all, Xbox 360 is bringing larger-than-life experiences into living rooms like never before, including the following:
• “ Halo: Reach ” (*) (Bungie, Microsoft Game Studios). Millions of fans worldwide are eagerly awaiting the release of “Halo: Reach,” the blockbuster prequel to the best-selling Xbox franchise of all time. The action follows the story of Noble Team, a squad of heroic Spartan soldiers and their final stand on planet Reach, humanity’s last line of defence between the terrifying Covenant and Earth. The most ambitious “Halo” game yet, “Halo: Reach” launches worldwide on Sept. 14, and promises to be one of the biggest games of 2010.
• “ Gears of War 3 ” (*) (Epic Games, Microsoft Game Studios). “Gears of War 3” concludes the epic trilogy starring Marcus Fenix and Delta Squad. In the finale, the last human city has fallen, leaving the survivors scattered and without refuge. Exposed on all sides, Delta Squad finds itself in a ruthless battle between two horrific enemies. “Gears of War 3” continues to break ground with new multiplayer experiences on Xbox LIVE for veteran players and rookies alike, adding four-player co-operative campaign and the new Beast mode.** “Gears of War 3” launches in Australia and New Zealand on April 8.
• “ Fable III ” (*) (Lionhead Studios, Microsoft Game Studios). Coming this spring, “Fable III” delivers an unparalleled action and adventure experience as players journey from revolutionary to ruler and beyond. With your trusted canine companion, you will embark on an epic hero’s quest against injustice, forge alliances, crush your enemies and take control of your kingdom. But with great power comes great responsibility. Will you honour promises made in your rise to power, or sacrifice allegiance for personal gain? Choose wisely, as the decisions you make will forever impact your ever-evolving world.
• “Metal Gear Solid: Rising” (*) (Konami). “Metal Gear Solid: Rising” is the highly anticipated debut of Hideo Kojima’s critically acclaimed “Metal Gear Solid” franchise on Xbox 360. “Metal Gear Solid: Rising” will star Raiden, one of the most popular characters in the “Metal Gear Solid” universe, in a new, lightning bolt action-adventure on Xbox 360.
• “Call of Duty: Black Ops” (*) (Activision). On November 9th, Treyarch will make its return to the “Call of Duty” franchise with the release of “Call of Duty: Black Ops” on Xbox 360, the seventh entry in the best-selling first-person action franchise. “Call of Duty: Black Ops” continues the gripping experience and unprecedented level of action with players taking on multiple covert international conflicts in dedicated single-player, co-op teams and multiplayer on Xbox LIVE,** the largest “Call of Duty” community in the world. All “Call of Duty” Game Add-on content will release first on Xbox 360 through 2012, starting with the November release of the map packs for “Call of Duty: Black Ops.”
• “Dead Rising 2: CASE ZERO” (*) (Blue Castle Games, Capcom). Before “Dead Rising 2” launches in August and September, “Dead Rising 2: CASE ZERO” will release as an exclusive prologue only available through Xbox LIVE, providing unique features that bridge the story between the 2006 action-adventure hit and its sequel. Get the complete “Dead Rising 2” experience only on Xbox 360.
• “ Crackdown 2 ” (MA15+) (Ruffian Games, Microsoft Game Studios). “Crackdown 2,” the sequel to the sleeper hit of 2007, is the ultimate open-world experience featuring over-the-top action, a massive living world, stylish graphics, and unmatched cooperative and multiplayer online capabilities.** An explosive tour de force that invites players to explore, experiment and navigate through objectives with complete freedom to do what they want, when they want. “Crackdown 2” releases in Australia and New Zealand on July 8. The public Xbox LIVE demo will be available globally starting June 21.
Winter blockbusters on Xbox LIVE Arcade
Xbox LIVE Arcade offers high quality downloadable games with a broad library of more than 250 titles and free trial downloads. Kicking off in July, Xbox LIVE Winter of Arcade is back for a third year with some of the biggest and best smash hits of the season. Xbox LIVE members will enjoy five weeks of blockbuster games with something for everyone to enjoy during the colder months, including these games:
• “Castlevania: Harmony of Despair” (M) (Konami Digital Entertainment): Dracula takes a bite out of Xbox LIVE Arcade with “Castlevania: Harmony of Despair.” This fast-paced 2-D side scroller takes vampire hunters on a chase to bring Dracula, the Lord of Darkness, to his eternal slumber. Designed by the producer of the legendary “Castlevania” series, Koji Igarashi, “Castlevania: Harmony of Despair” allows up to six friends to play together via online co-op story mode or duke it out to see who the best vampire hunter is in Survival Mode.**
• “Hydro Thunder Hurricane” (G) (Vector Unit, Microsoft Game Studios): “Hydro Thunder Hurricane” is the all-new, full-featured sequel to the legendary arcade racer. Featuring rocket-powered speedboats blasting across amazing dynamic water, gorgeous visuals and interactive environments packed with shortcuts and surprises, this is the adrenaline-drenched sequel fans have been waiting for. Dive into intense multiplayer races with up to eight players on Xbox LIVE, up to four players locally, or even mix local and online games.**
• “Lara Croft and the Guardian of the Light” (PG) (Crystal Dynamics, Square Enix Europe): “Tomb Raider” heroine Lara Croft makes her headlining debut in this co-op, multiplayer action and adventure game. “Lara Croft and the Guardian of the Light” combines the hallmarks of the classic “Tomb Raider” franchise including exploration, discovery and puzzle solving with fun and fast-paced combat to create a game that is a great balance of cooperation and competition. Choose your own solutions and explore various paths through the dense jungles of Central America as you solve puzzles to win the game.
• “Limbo” (*) (Playdead, Microsoft Game Studios): Uncertain of his sister’s fate, a boy enters “Limbo.” This winter, experience his journey – through a hauntingly beautiful and philosophically provocative world – in this Independent Games Festival award-winning title.
• “Monday Night Combat” (M) (Microsoft): “Monday Night Combat” takes you into the most popular lethal sport of the future. This third person shooter blends intense combat, finishing moves and game show-like challenges to give you an action experience unlike any other. Rather than fighting for honour or duty, “Monday Night Combat” lets you fight for cash, game and endorsements.
# # #
Should you have any questions or comments please contact:
Danny Wong, Pulse Communications: (02) 8281 3826 / firstname.lastname@example.org
* Check the Classification closer to launch date
** Xbox LIVE Gold Membership required for online multiplayer.
Xbox 360 is a premier home entertainment and video game system. This holiday, with the addition of Kinect, Xbox 360 will transform social gaming and entertainment with a whole new way to play — no controller required. Xbox 360 is also home to some of the best and broadest games as well as a large on-demand library of standard- and high-definition movies, and digital games, all in one place. The entertainment centre of the living room, Xbox 360 blends fantastic content with an online social network of 25 million Xbox LIVE members to create a brilliant entertainment experience that can be shared at home or across the globe. More information about Xbox 360 can be found online at http://www.xbox.com/en-AU
Danny Wong, Pulse Communications
P: (02) 8281 3826
Xbox LIVE is the online entertainment service for your Xbox 360, connecting you to an ever-expanding world of games, movies, TV, music, sports and social entertainment. With an active community of 25 million people across 35 countries, Xbox LIVE lets you play games, and share the fun with friends around the world. Xbox LIVE is also the exclusive home of controller-free online entertainment through Kinect, making your Xbox 360 more intuitive and interactive than ever before. With Xbox LIVE and Xbox 360, you have instant access to the entertainment you want, shared with the people you care about, wherever you are. More information about Xbox LIVE and services for your country can be found online at http://www.xbox.com/en-AU/live/
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realise their full potential. Xbox 360, the Xbox 360 logo, Xbox LIVE are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies.
Danny Wong, Pulse Communications
P: (02) 8281 3826