TOKYO - Tanaka Holdings Co., Ltd. (Head office: Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo; Representative Director & CEO: Akira Tanae) announced today that by the Tanaka Memorial Foundation (Representative: Hideya Okamoto) will accept applications for the 2015 Precious Metals Research Grants from October 1 through November 30, 2015. Applications will be accepted from Japanese educational institutions and public research institutes conducting research and development using precious metals. Grants will be provided up to 5 million yen for the Platinum Award, 2 million yen for the Gold Award, 500,000 yen for the Silver Award, 1 million yen for the Young Researcher Award, and 200,000 yen for the MMS Award.
This 17th year of the Precious Metals Research Grants marks the first time the grants will be provided by the Tanaka Memorial Foundation. On top of the usual Platinum Award, Gold Award, Silver Award and MMS Award, this year will see the addition of a new Young Researcher Award to proactively support young researchers of up to 37 years of age. Applications for the Precious Metals Research Grants are open to projects in all fields related to new technology, and research and development, in which precious metals can make a contribution. Applications can be submitted through the application form on the Tanaka Memorial Foundation website (http://tanaka-foundation.or.jp) and, after strict examination, award recipients will be announced at about the end of March 2016.
The Tanaka Memorial Foundation aims to contribute to the development and cultivation of new fields for precious metals, and to the development of science, technology and the social economy, by conducting activities that enable more people to experience a prosperous society through scientific and technological development. This program is being implemented as part of these activities to support the various challenges faced in the "new world opened up by precious metals." Tanaka looks forward to seeing the passionate research of applicants.
Overview of the 2015 Precious Metals Research Grants
New technologies, and research and development, to which precious metals can make a contribution
- Platinum Award: 5 million yen (1 award)
- Gold Award: 2 million yen (1 award)
- Silver Awards: 500,000 yen (several awards)
- Young Researcher Awards (for researchers of up to 37 years of age): 1 million yen (2 awards)
- MMS Awards: 200,000 yen (several awards)
* The grant amount is treated as a scholarship donation.
* Each award is given to research deemed to make a particularly large contribution to commercialization and practical implementation, and awards may not be granted in some cases.
Personnel who belong to educational research institutions or public research institutes in Japan
- Applicants belonging to research institutions in Japan are eligible regardless of whether they are based in Japan or overseas.
- Young Researcher Awards are given to young researchers aged up to 37 years old as of April 1, 2015.
October 1, 2015 (Thu) - 5pm, November 30, 2015 (Mon)
Enter the necessary information on the application form available on the Tanaka Memorial Foundation website (http://tanaka-foundation.or.jp) and upload details of the research (papers and supplementary material on the theme).
Results will be announced on the Tanaka Memorial Foundation website at about the end of March 2016.
- Tanaka will contact the award recipients directly.
- Precious metals must play an important role in commercialization and/or practical implementation of the research.
- Development related to precious metals must provide a breakthrough in the progress of the commercialization and/or practical implementation.
- When applying with joint research, the representative should apply.
- Students must obtain approval from the person responsible for their laboratory in order to submit an application.
* Clearly state if the research is being performed with other precious metal manufactures (including planned).
* Applicants may be asked to exchange information with Tanaka about product development, technology development, and guidance through the research.
- Excludes research that has already been commercialized or for which there are such plans.
- Excludes fundamental research such as analysis, evaluation and production technology.
Inquiries concerning the research grant program:
Precious Metals Research Grants Office
Marketing Department, Tanaka Kikinzoku Kogyo K.K.
22F Tokyo Building, 2-7-3 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-6422
E-mail: [email protected]
Tanaka Memorial Foundation website: http://tanaka-foundation.or.jp
Press release: http://www.acnnewswire.com/clientreports/598/150917_EN.pdf
Tanaka Memorial Foundation
Established: April 1, 2015
Address: 22F Tokyo Building, 2-7-3 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
Representative: Hideya Okamoto (Senior Advisor to Tanaka Holdings Co., Ltd.)
Purpose of Business: To provide grants for research related to precious metals in order to contribute to the development and cultivation of new fields for precious metals, and to the development of science, technology and the social economy.
Areas of Business:
Provision of grants for scientific and technological research related to precious metals.
Recognition of excellent research related to precious metals and holding of seminars and other events.
Tanaka Holdings Co., Ltd. (Holding company of Tanaka Precious Metals)
Headquarters: 22F, Tokyo Building, 2-7-3 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
Representative: Akira Tanae, Representative Director & CEO
Capital: 500 million yen
Employees in consolidated group: 3,511 (FY2014)
Net sales of consolidated group: 856.4 billion yen (FY2014)
Main businesses of the group: Manufacture, sales, import and export of precious metals (platinum, gold, silver, and others) and various types of industrial precious metals products. Recycling and refining of precious metals.
Website: http://www.tanaka.co.jp/english (Tanaka Precious Metals), http://pro.tanaka.co.jp/en (Industrial products)
About the Tanaka Precious Metals
Established in 1885, the Tanaka Precious Metals has built a diversified range of business activities focused on the use of precious metals. On April 1, 2010, the group was reorganized with Tanaka Holdings Co., Ltd. as the holding company (parent company) of the Tanaka Precious Metals. In addition to strengthening corporate governance, the company aims to improve overall service to customers by ensuring efficient management and dynamic execution of operations. Tanaka Precious Metals is committed, as a specialist corporate entity, to providing a diverse range of products through cooperation among group companies.
Tanaka Precious Metals is in the top class in Japan in terms of the volume of precious metal handled, and for many years the group has developed and stably supplied industrial precious metals, in addition to providing accessories and savings commodities utilizing precious metals. As precious metal professionals, the Group will continue to contribute to enriching people's lives in the future.
The eight core companies in the Tanaka Precious Metals are as follows.
- Tanaka Holdings Co., Ltd. (pure holding company)
- Tanaka Kikinzoku Kogyo K.K.
- Tanaka Kikinzoku Hanbai K.K.
- Tanaka Kikinzoku International K.K.
- Tanaka Denshi Kogyo K.K.
- Electroplating Engineers of Japan, Limited
- Tanaka Kikinzoku Jewelry K.K.
- Tanaka Kikinzoku Business Service K.K.
Global Sales Dept., Tanaka Kikinzoku International K.K. (TKI)