Monday, June 22nd, 2015 - Roy Morgan Research

The majority of visitors to Facebook and YouTube already use a mobile phone or tablet (or both), and Ebay is not far behind, the latest cross-device audience data from Roy Morgan Research shows.

Almost 13 million Australians visited Facebook in an average four weeks in the 12 months to March 2015, up 10% from 11,759,000 in the year to March 2013.

8,765,000 of those visitors (68%) use a mobile device—a phone, a tablet, or both—for some or all of their visitation, up from 5,303,000 (45% of total visitors) two years ago.   

7,595,000 people now use a mobile phone to access Facebook during an average four-week period (up 59% from 4,787,000 in early 2013) and 3,818,000 use a tablet (more than double the 1,876,000 visitors via tablet two years ago). Of these mobile visitors, 2,648,000 go to Facebook via both types of device during the month, up from 1,360,000. 

Computers are still in the most common way to access Facebook overall, but far fewer Australians now go online using only these ‘non-mobile’ means: 4,162,000 Australians use only a computer to visit Facebook in an average four weeks, down from 6,456,000 in 2013.

The way we visit YouTube is also changing—no doubt helped along by the increasing mobile data allowances available for streaming video on the go (but also the rising trend of multi-screening on the wi-fi connection at home).

From March 2013 to March 2015, YouTube’s net monthly website audience grew 14% to 11,799,000. Most of these video streamers now use one or more mobile devices during the month (53%, up from 36%): 3,423,000 use a phone, 1,318,000 a tablet, and another 1,504,000 use both.

Ebay’s total four-week audience is almost unchanged over the last two years, up less than 1% to 7,300,000. As with Facebook and YouTube, visitation via mobile device has increased, from 2,172,000 (30%) to 3,449,000 (47%)—however this means, of course, that the remainder of Ebay visitors (a majority of 53%) still use only non-mobile computers to access the website. 

Number of Australians visiting website in average four weeks:

Source: Roy Morgan Single Source, Apr 2012- Mar 2013 n = 51,172 and Apr 2014 – Mar 2015 n = 51,882 Australians 14+

Tim Martin, General Manager – Media, Roy Morgan Research, says:

“It’s astounding how quickly the last two years of rapid smartphone and tablet uptake has influenced cross platform, cross device visitation to Australia’s biggest websites.

“The changes in cross device visitation that Roy Morgan Research is seeing are consistent with the rapid shift of online display advertising from non-mobile to mobile formats. Advertising campaigns that would previously have been shown on desktop computers are now being adapted for mobile formats.

“Of course, the results revealed here are missing a crucial element for understanding cross-platform visitation in full: how many of these mobile phone or tablet visitors also still visit via computer? Media owners are under significant pressure to correctly measure their mobile and non-mobile audiences accurately. These ‘overlaps’ are confounding most measurement systems around the world. Only Roy Morgan Single Source now measures the cross-platform audience, the unique audience by device and shared audiences overlapping across devices. Contact us to discuss accessing this exclusive research."

Contact Profile

Roy Morgan Research


Roy Morgan Research is Australia’s best known and longest established market research and public opinion survey company. Roy Morgan Single Source is thorough, accurate, and provides comprehensive, directly applicable information about current and future customers. It is unique in that it directs all the questions to each individual from a base survey sample of around 55,000 interviews in Australia and 15,000 interviews in New Zealand annually - the largest Single Source databases in the world. The questions asked relate to lifestyle and attitudes, media consumption habits (including TV, radio, newspapers, magazines, cinema, catalogues, pay TV and the Internet), brand and product usage, purchase intentions, retail visitations, service provider preferences, financial information and recreation and leisure activities. This lead product is supported by a nationally networked, consultancy-orientated market research capability.
Shaun Ellis
P: 03 9224 5332
W: www.roymorgan.com

Keywords

cross-platform website visitation facebook youtube ebay

Categories

Newsrooms

Sharing

More Formats