Nothing beats the freshness of springtime, especially after the tough winter experienced by many Canadians this year. To help brighten your day, here are the first five destinations from our list where you can check out the magnificence of spring.
- Bluebonnet fields, Texas, United States - Bluebonnets, Texas' state flower, is nature's way of showing off. Every March and April fields are flooded with this beautiful flower. Even major state highways are lined with them, making for very scenic drives. To really get your fill of them, head to a bluebonnet festival or trail located throughout all of Texas. Just remember to leave the bluebonnets where you find them. It's illegal to pick them unless they grow on your own property.
- Keukenhof Holland, Lisse, Netherlands - With more than seven million bulbs in bloom and 800 varieties of tulips, Keukenhof Holland in the springtime, is an unforgettable experience. This year, the inspiration for the flower shows, the new Selfie garden and the flower bulb mosaic (made up of thousands of tulips) is Van Gogh. Keukenhof Holland wanted to honour the 125th anniversary of his death by displaying the beauty of his paintings through the combination of thousands of flowers. Come see for yourself this year from March 20 to May 17.
- Shibazakura Hill, Japan - Imagine 17,600 square metres covered in 400,000 bright and colourful petaled flowers. Well, you don't need to imagine it. You just need to visit Shibazakura Hill at Hitsujiyama Park between April and May. Winding paths guide you through the thousands of magenta, red and white flowers, and cherry trees, while showing off views of more than just flowers. From Shibazakura Hill you get a picturesque view of the city below and the Daisetsuzan Mountain range above.
- Chelsea Physic Garden, London, England - Chelsea Physic Garden is a one-of-a-kind place in many ways. For starters, it's the oldest botanical garden in London, founded in 1673 by the Worshipful Society of Apothecaries, and it is now one of the most important centres of botany and plant exchange in the world. Each plant in this garden is edible and useful, all playing a part in natural medicines. Stroll through the relaxing scenery and top off your day with afternoon tea at the Tangerine Dream Café.
- Canadian Tulip Festival, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada - Come to Ottawa and witness nearly 300,000 tulips in 60 different varieties bloom in 30 flower beds. Each year in May (this year from May 8 to May 18), Ottawa holds the world's largest tulip festival to symbolize the gift given to the Canadian people for providing safe harbour to the Dutch Royal Family during the German Occupation of the Netherlands. Expect events for all ages including fireworks and a treasure hunt.
Rounding out our list of destinations where you can celebrate spring in full bloom are: Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden, South Africa; Dunedin Botanic Garden, New Zealand; Biltmore Blooms, Asheville, North Carolina, United States; Madeira Flower Festival, Funchal, Portugal; and Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers, Toowoomba, Australia. To read the budding details on these and see Cheapflights.ca's complete Top 10 Places Spring is in Bloom, visit www.cheapflights.ca/news/top-10-places-spring-is-in-bloom.
About Cheapflights.ca, part of the Momondo Group
Momondo Group is an online travel media and technology company that is driven by the belief that an open world is a better world. The group now serves travel search and inspiration to over 17.5 million visitors a month -- plus 7 million travel newsletter subscribers -- via its Cheapflights (www.cheapflights.ca) and momondo (www.momondo.com) brands.
Skygate began the sourcing of complex air-travel data in 1992, while Cheapflights pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users in 1996 and momondo launched meta-search in the Nordic countries in 2006.
The Group has offices in London, Copenhagen and Boston with a consumer base across more than 30 core international markets but users all over the world.
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/cheapflights
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/cheapflights
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2790066
Contact Information: Cheapflights.ca Tel: +1 416-788-4573 E-mail: Email Contact Website: www.cheapflights.ca