- Internal power supply protection circuit provides industry's highest level power interruption resistance
- Compact dimension of 30 x 50 mm
- Supports latest MLC NAND and SLC NAND flash memory
Tokyo, Nov 18, 2014 - (ACN Newswire) - TDK Corporation presents the new SMG4A series of serial ATA II compatible industrial NAND flash memory modules, which enable storage capacities of up to 128 GB and measure only approx. 30 x 50 mm. The product will be available from January 2015.
TDK can meet the requirement of industrial usage by offering a collateral error prevention function, which overcomes the fact that in case of power failure the conventional MLC NAND flash memory products lose the data, which is not written on the disk.
The new SMG4A series does not only feature the power failure tolerance algorithm of TDK's own GBDriver RS4 controller IC, it also features TDK's internal power supply protection circuit that reliably prevents any power failure related collateral errors.
Further advantages provided by TDK's GBDriver RS4 include enhanced ECC and other functions significantly bolstering data reliability, such as read retry, auto recovery, data randomizer, and auto refresh. In addition, service life diagnosis software (TDK SMART) facilitates quantitative lifespan management.
Data security has also been enhanced. In addition to the standard ATA security complement and AES* 128-bit encryption, a TDK proprietary security function is also implemented. Data can be stored in the NAND type flash memory in encrypted form, to guard against the risk of data leaks and tampering, resulting in highly robust storage security.
The TDK SMG4A series of industrial mSATA form factor SSDs are SATA flash memory drives ideally suited for use as replacements for hard disk drives in industrial equipment and embedded devices. They combine high-speed performance, data reliability, storage lifespan, and data security on a high plane.
With the introduction of the new series, TDK can complement its existing SMG3B series and expands the product range of mSATA type NAND modules.
The products will be exhibited at TDK's booth at the Embedded Technology Exhibition (ET 2014), which will be held from November 19-21 in Yokohama, Japan.
- Factory automation equipment
- Railway and transport equipment
- Cashless registers and other point-of-sales (POS) equipment
- Terminals and thin-client computers, SATA RAID SSD installations and other IT equipment for cloud computing systems
- Automotive equipment such as car navigation systems, digital tachographs, drive recorders, and rear-view monitors
- Office equipment
- Amusement devices
- Advertising display equipment
- Medical and measuring instruments and nursing-care equipment
- Base station equipment for 4th generation (4G) mobile data communication systems
- Smart grid equipment
- Security and surveillance equipment
- Disaster prevention related equipment
Main features and benefits
- Includes TDK's GBDriver RS4 NAND Flash Memory Controller
- High-Speed Access: Compliant with Serial ATA Revision 2.6 Specification. Compatible with SATA Gen. 1 (1.5 Gbps), Gen. 2 (3.0 Gbps), and NCQ commands. Supports read access speeds up to 215 MByte/second and write access speeds up to 95 MByte/second** with no DRAM or other cache while maintaining high reliability.
- Global Static Wear Leveling
- Improved Power Interruption Tolerance
- Enhanced ECC Function***
- Read Retry Function
- Data Randomizer Function
- Error Recovery
- Security Functions: AES 128-bit encryption***, Protection function, TDK's proprietary security function****
- ATA Trim Command
- Support for SMART Command
- Solution Support
Glossary / Note
*: Compliant with United States Department of Commerce Federal Information Processing Standard FIPS PUB197.
**: With onboard SLC flash memory and 4-channel connection. May vary depending on system environment.
****: Contract for protection of confidential information required separately.
You can download this text and associated images from www.global.tdk.com/news_center/press/201411181583.htm.
About TDK Corporation
TDK Corporation is a leading electronics company based in Tokyo, Japan. It was established in 1935 to commercialize ferrite, a key material in electronic and magnetic products. TDK's portfolio includes electronic components, modules and systems* which are marketed under the product brands TDK and EPCOS, power supplies, magnetic application products as well as energy devices, flash memory application devices, and others. TDK focuses on demanding markets in the areas of information and communication technology and consumer, automotive and industrial electronics. The company has a network of design and manufacturing locations and sales offices in Asia, Europe, and in North and South America. In fiscal 2014, TDK posted total sales of USD 9.6 billion and employed about 83,000 people worldwide. For more information, please visit www.global.tdk.com.
The product portfolio includes ceramic, aluminum electrolytic and film capacitors, ferrites, inductors, high-frequency components such as surface acoustic wave (SAW) filter products and modules, piezo and protection components, and sensors.
Ms. Mari Miyauchi
Mr. Shunichi Hanafusa
+81 47 378-9130