Winners Look to Ride Out Short-Term Market Volatility by Focusing on Fundamental Value
NEW YORK, NY--(Marketwired - Nov 9, 2014) - Asset managers in Asia, like their counterparts around the world, struggle to find good risk-adjusted returns in today's low interest rate environment. Yet Institutional Investor has identified a number of firms that have generated consistently strong performance, and honors them with its first-ever Asia Investment Management Awards.
II awards 19 firms in 22 categories, including Fortune SGAM Fund Management Co. in China Equities, Mitsubishi UFJ Asset Management Co. for Japan Equities, Mirae Asset Global Investments for South Korea Fixed Income, Schroder Investment Management for Hong Kong and Singapore Equities, and Reliance Capital for India Equities.
At Mitsubishi UFJ, Yuji Sujino, general manager of equity investment, says the firm remains optimistic about the outlook for Japan's economy despite the sharp drop in the country's output in the second quarter.
"Corporate earnings of Japanese companies will grow strongly, driven by the growth of overseas sales, mainly in the U.S. and Asia, and also the growth of domestic sales and improvement of profitability backed by the virtuous cycle in the domestic market," Sujino says.
Such optimism, combined with good stock picks, has enabled the Japan Blue Chip Fund to post a gain of 138 percent over the three years to the end of September, beating the Tokyo Stock Exchange's Topix index by 52.6 percentage points.
To identify winners, II screened performance data provided by Morningstar on thousands of asset managers across Asia and selected winners based on a combination of short- and long-term performance.
Here is the full list of winners:
- Equities: Fortune SGAM Fund Management Co.
- Fixed Income: ICBC Credit Suisse Asset Management Co.
- Money Market: China Southern Asset Management Co.
- Hong Kong
- Equities: Schroder Investment Management (Hong Kong)
- Equities: Fuh Hwa Securities Investment Trust Co.
- Greater China
- Equities: First State Stewart
- Asia Ex-Japan
- Equities: Okasan Asset Management Co.
- Fixed Income: Mizuho Asset Management Co.
- Equities: Mitsubishi UFJ Asset Management Co.
- Fixed Income: Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Asset Management
- REITs: Mitsubishi UFJ Asset Management Co.
- South Korea
- Equities: Shinyoung Asset Management Co.
- Fixed Income: Mirae Asset Global Investments
- Money Market: Alpha Asset Management
- Equities: Reliance Capital
- Fixed Income: Birla Sun Life Asset Management Co.
- Equities: BBL Asset Management Co.
- Equities: Eastspring Investments
- Islamic Equities: MAAKL Mutual
- Fixed Income: Eastspring Investments
- Islamic Fixed Inc: Public Mutual
- Equities: Schroder Investment Management (Singapore)
About Institutional Investor
Now entering its fifth decade, Institutional Investor has consistently distinguished itself among the world's foremost financial publications with groundbreaking journalism and incisive writing that provides essential intelligence for a global audience. In addition, Institutional Investor offers a host of proprietary research and rankings that serve as respected industry benchmarks. For more information visit www.institutionalinvestor.com.