OHL-FCC, Parsons and Rio Tinto Honored for Technology Innovation
SAN FRANCISCO, CA -- (Marketwired) -- Aconex, provider of the #1 cloud solution to manage the world's largest construction and engineering projects, today announced that three of its customers have won 2014 Constructech Vision Awards. These awards acknowledge companies that have stayed up to date on the latest trends and products in order to make decisions that have helped their businesses succeed and thrive.
The winners -- OHL-FCC Limited Partnership, Parsons Corporation and Rio Tinto Group -- accepted their awards at the Constructech Vision Awards ceremony, following the Technology Day conference on October 3 in Redwood City, California. Constructech also recognized Aconex as the technology provider behind its customers' award-winning innovation.
"In looking at the 2014 Vision Award winners, you will find an impressive group of construction companies that represent multiple verticals," said Laura Black, editor, Constructech magazine. "Each of them was able to not only recognize the benefits technology can provide, but implement the necessary solutions. Tonight they come away as winners, and carry on a 15-year tradition of accomplishment."
OHL-FCC Limited Partnership -- Gold Award, Builder/GC Commercial: $26 million to $100 million
OHL-FCC Limited Partnership is a joint venture between two global contractors based in Spain -- Obrascon Huarte Lain (OHL) and Fomento de Construcciones y Contratas (FCC). The project for which OHL-FCC won a Vision Award is a key component of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension, which is valued at C$2.6 billion. OHL-FCC's $404-million development involves construction of twin tunnels at the northern end of the new Toronto subway and the Highway 407 Station. The project team consists of approximately 350 individuals from 250 different organizations.
Using the Aconex platform, OHL-FCC was able to:
- Save 8,900 kilograms (19,621 pounds) of paper and approximately $13,350 in administrative costs
- Reduce turnaround time for communications with third parties by 88-90%, from 25-28 days to three days
- Improve the efficiency of the bidding process by 80%, reducing it from 30 days to 5-7 days
- Speed up design review cycles by 96%, reducing them from three to four days to three to four hours
- Save $396,000 in indirect costs per year, reducing the required number of product coordinators by half.
Parsons Corporation -- Gold Award, Builder/GC Commercial: More than $500 million
Parsons Corporation is a worldwide engineering, construction, technical, and management services firm and a leader in many diversified markets, with a focus on transportation, environmental/infrastructure, defense/security, and resources. Parsons won a Vision Award for the Denver International Airport (DIA) Hotel and Transit Center program. This program, requiring collaboration between 116 different organizations, consists of a Westin Hotel and conference center, a public transit center with a commuter rail station, a pick-up/drop-off point for buses, and a public plaza.
With the Aconex platform, Parsons:
- Saved approximately US$100,000 per year in staffing costs, managing documents with one employee instead of three
- Eliminated bottlenecks for 2,000 requests for information (RFIs) and reduced RFI turnaround to 10 days, while maintaining a complete history of all RFIs from initiation through close-out
- Reduced logging time for daily reports and eliminated reporting errors, driving faster resolution of field issues
- Significantly decreased processing time for change management paperwork by making documents readily available to the project team
- Mitigated risk through a permanent audit trail of the project.
Rio Tinto Group -- Gold Award, Corporate Owner: Mining
Rio Tinto Group is a leading international mining group based in the U.K., with global operations focused on finding, mining and processing mineral resources. The large, complex project for which Rio Tinto won a Vision Award is the Holden Mine Remediation in the Cascade Mountains of eastern Washington. This five-year clean-up of a copper, gold, silver, and zinc mine involves water quality improvement and long-term site reclamation. Approximately 350 individuals from more than 20 different organizations are working on the project, which is limited to seven months a year on site because of weather and remoteness.
Using the Aconex platform, Rio Tinto has been able to:
- Reduce its invoice approval cycle by 30% and internal document review process by 35%, saving over 250 hours per year
- Reduce document printing and shipping costs, saving approximately US$100,000 per year
- Use one document controller instead of four, saving approximately $300,000 per year
- Save up to 4,000 hours or $340,000 per year in communications, compared to the use of SharePoint or other enterprise content management software.
About Constructech Magazine
Constructech Magazine is where construction and technology converge. The publication influences construction professionals to unleash the business value of technology. www.constructech.com.
Aconex provides the #1 cloud solution to manage information and processes for the world's largest construction and engineering projects. Aconex gives owners and contractors in the construction, infrastructure, and energy and resources sectors project-wide visibility and control between the many different organizations collaborating across their projects. With more than 500,000 users and over US$1 trillion of project value delivered in 70 countries, Aconex is the industry's most widely adopted and trusted platform. The company's global customer base includes nine of the top ten engineering, procurement and construction (EPC/EPCM) firms, 23 of the 25 largest global design firms, and nearly all Fortune 500 construction and engineering companies. Founded in 2000, Aconex has 40 offices throughout the world, including headquarters in Melbourne, Australia and San Francisco, California.
For more information on Aconex, please visit:
- Website: http://www.aconex.com
- Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/aconex
- LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/aconex
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Aconex
Aconex Contact: Tod Bottari +1 650 538 3309 Email Contact Citadel Communications Matthew Gregorowski +61 2 9290 3033 Email Contact