SINGAPORE, Oct 9, 2014 - (ACN Newswire) - The Media Development Authority of Singapore (MDA) will lead a delegation of 23 Singapore media companies to MIPCOM held in Cannes from 13 - 16 October 2014, marking Singapore's 14th expedition to MIPCOM as one of the prominent Asian exhibitors.
The 130-square metre Singapore Pavilion, located at P-1.C28, P-1D.27 Palais des Festivals will feature a good mix of TV production, animation and content distribution companies such as August Media, Infinite Studios, MediaCorp, One Animation, Sparky Animation and TVS Asia/Sunrise Entertainment.
Compelling quality Asian stories for an International audience -
MIPCOM buyers looking to acquire quality content from Asia will find a diverse range from Singapore, with more than 530 hours of factual, drama, infotainment, lifestyle and kids content offered for international sale and distribution.
Given a deep understanding of East-West sensibilities, Singapore media companies are well known for effectively infusing Asian flavour and perspective into stories that will appeal to an international audience.
- 'Grace', a four-part horror mini-series which is set to premiere on HBO Asia's regional feed in October, is produced by HBO Asia and Singapore's award winning production company Infocus Asia. The series explores Asian notions of family and obligation and takes an international approach towards the horror conventions of Asia. Blending aspects of Asian supernatural mythology and traditions in the context of a modern urban Asian environment, Grace tells the story about a man whose unfaithfulness delivers dark consequences for those closest to him. This follows HBO Asia's success with its first original drama series 'Serangoon Road', produced in collaboration with Singapore-based Infinite Studios, Australia's ABC TV and Great Western Entertainment.
International broadcasters looking towards Asia for innovative stories with global appeal can also find original formats and content from Singapore.
- One example is Refinery Media's homegrown format 'Supermodelme', a multi-platform reality series in which 12 models of Asian heritage compete for a chance to launch their career in the fashion industry. Now in its fifth season, the programme is the first English-language reality series format from Asia to be picked up by regional broadcaster DIVA Universal Asia. Supermodelme was awarded "Best Cross-Platform Content" at the Asian Television Awards 2012 and nominated for "Best Non-Fiction" at the International Digital Emmy Awards in 2013.
- Another noteworthy mention is One Animation's 3D animated series 'Oddbods', that celebrates the fun, humour and quirkiness of everyday life through the eyes of seven adorable characters.
In addition, Singapore producers are choice partners for international media companies, well known for our strong capability in media services and top notch quality works.
- Popular title 'Dinosaur Train (Season 1 - 3)', co-produced by The Jim Henson Company and Singapore's Sparky Animation, features a curious young Tyrannosaurus Rex named Buddy who takes the Dinosaur Train with his family to go on an adventure. The series is highly demanded in the international marketplace, and has aired in over 175 countries across the globe in partnership with major broadcasters, such as PBS (USA), TVO and TFO (Canada), Nickelodeon (UK), Disney Channel (Germany), France 5 (France), ABC TV and Nick Jr. (Australia), and Discovery Kids (Latin America).
Quality Singapore TV and animation Content debuts at MIPCOM -
16 new television series, featuring Asia and Singapore-inspired stories, are slated to make their market debut at MIPCOM. These include a number of foreign language titles from new Singapore exhibitors.
Highlights include drama titles featuring Asian stories that revolve around universal themes of family ties and relationships:
- First-time exhibitor DV Studio brings 10 Malay language titles (with English subtitles), including telemovie 'Kasih Ibu', a story about a mother's fight to be reunited with her children and husband who have been forcibly separated from her.
- Malay drama 'R & D' by Shortman Films, on the marriage between two famous radio deejays Reza and Dyla, and their relationship with Reza's quirky parents.
Documentaries and infotainment series, inspired by experiences and events in Singapore and Asia, will also be showcased at the market:
- First-time exhibitor Mediamorphosis brings with them an independent documentary 'Aceh Bangkit (Rise of Aceh). The documentary is produced in commemoration of the 10-year anniversary of the tsunami disaster that killed over 180,000 Acehnese in 2004 and details the first-hand stories of eight survivors' encounters with the killer wave.
- Luxury destination cooking series 'Toque 12', produced by Dragonslayer Asia and Sunrise Entertainment, takes viewers on a culinary tour to the most exotic and exclusive restaurants and their chefs in Asia.
- Oak 3 Films' award-winning Malay-language factual series 'Jalan (Season 1 - 5)' uses historical walkthroughs and real-life stories to uncover everything from little known stories of Singapore street names, to unearthing the Singaporean identity by exploring the ancient empires and the nation's contemporary history.
Also making their debut at the market are original animated titles created by Singapore companies:
- 'Abbie Rose & The Magic Suitcase', based on best-selling children book series by Singapore author Neil Humphreys, about an inquisitive and adventurous girl who travels to far-away places with the help of her father's magic suitcase.
- Omens Studios' animated 3D pre-school series 'Counting with Paula' which teaches pre-school Math concepts in a fun and simple way through adventures that take place in exotic places such as the Amazon Jungle, Underwater World and Outer Space.
- Niubizi Studio is reimagining a 1934 Chinese cartoon character Niubizi (meaning ox's nose in Chinese), as well as developing a family of characters and stories. The first to debut would be 'The House of Wonders', which will feature a cross media experience across film, TV and games platforms. Currently in development, the core theme of the series is about seeking out what wonders you and discovering your place in the world.
Networking opportunities with Singapore companies -
A "Singapore Media Festival networking and media party" will be hosted on 14 October 2014 (second day of MIPCOM) for international media companies to network with some of the best Singapore media companies, and sneak a peek into the latest updates on the inaugural Singapore Media Festival (SMF).
SMF brings together a slate of festival screenings, conferences, awards and a bigger and better market with four established film and TV events in Singapore held under a single umbrella. The four events under SMF are: Asia TV Market and Forum, ScreenSingapore, Asian Television Awards and Singapore International Film Festival.
A series of announcements and prominent deals are also expected from the Singapore delegation during MIPCOM, including from Hi-5, Hub Media, One Animation, Omens Studios and The Moving Visuals Co.
Catch highlights of Singapore content at MIPCOM at www.youtube.com/MDASingapore
For more information on the participating companies at the Singapore Pavilion, please refer to www.acnnewswire.com/clientreports/34/Singapore_Companies_MIPCOM.pdf
For information on the content that will be showcased, please refer to http://www.acnnewswire.com/clientreports/34/Singapore_Content_MIPCOM.pdf
About Media Development Authority of Singapore (MDA)
The Media Development Authority of Singapore (www.mda.gov.sg) promotes the growth of globally competitive film, television, radio, publishing, games, animation and interactive digital media industries. It also regulates the media sector to safeguard the interests of consumers, and promotes a connected society. MDA is a statutory board under the Ministry of Communications and Information (www.mci.gov.sg).
For media queries, please contact:
Ang Yi Eng (Ms)
Assistant Manager (Industry Communications)
Media Development Authority
Mobile: +65 9276 3170
Email: [email protected]