To help celebrate Women's Health Week, here are some fun facts about Australian women from our recent Australian Health Survey:
- The average Aussie woman weighs 71kg and is 162cm tall.
- She spends an average of three and half hours a week on physical activity, with common activities including fitness and gym training or jogging and running.
- In contrast, she spends about 13 hours a week watching TV and about an hour and a half chatting on the phone.
- The average weight for women has increased by more than 4kg over the last 15 years, meaning that around half of all Aussie women are now overweight or obese.
- Just over 1 million adult women are currently on a diet. Around half of this group were on a low calorie diet, 14 per cent were on a low carbohydrate diet and 10 per cent were on a sugar-free diet.
- That's not to say that Aussie women don't like their treats. On any given day, around 1.5 million Aussie adult women consume chocolate, and collectively they consume an average of 59 tonnes of it!
- Aussie women also love a good glass of vino, with almost one in five drinking wine on any given day.
For more interesting data, check out our Australian Health Survey findings here: http://www.abs.gov.au/australianhealthsurvey
When reporting ABS data you must attribute the Australian Bureau of Statistics (or the ABS) as the source.
Media requests and interviews - contact the ABS Communications Section on 1300 175 070.