AVG® Technologies N.V.
(NYSE: AVG), the online security company for 182 million active
users, today announced a number of updates to its flagship AVG PrivacyFixTM
application, including extending its scope to the popular social
network Twitter® and enabling users to assess their
‘worth’ to the key networks in terms of targeted
With many social media companies, including Twitter and Facebook® monetising their sites through advertising revenue, the value of personal information is becoming big business. With AVG PrivacyFix 3.0, users can now see not only the extent to which their social media account settings are exposing their personal information but can also understand how much they could potentially be worth to the companies who would look to monetise their social media interactions.
AVG’s free application allows users to take steps to assess their exposure and apply one-click fixes to their settings, which include:
- Choosing who can tag them in photos on Facebook
- Preventing their location from being made public on the key social networks
- Deciding if others can find them through the email address attached to their account
- De-authorising access to old and unused apps connected to their Twitter account
This latest version of AVG PrivacyFix also includes a new Progress Meter that gives users a better all-in-one view of their social media privacy settings, including showing which advertisers are tracking them online and offering a snapshot of their overall journey to taking control of their privacy.
“As more people realise that social networks and popular websites are collecting data about their activity for monetisation purposes, AVG PrivacyFix provides them with an easy way to understand and control this data collection,” said Michael McKinnon, Security Advisor, AVG Technologies.
“But it’s not just about reputable sites using data to sell advertising. We increasingly live our lives online and share more personal information regularly, and as such we risk leaving ourselves open to growing online threats such as cyberbullying, cyberstalking and identity theft. Parents, in particular, are increasingly concerned about protecting family privacy, and the Progress Meter is a way for them to manage all of the settings in one place simply and confidently.”
AVG PrivacyFix is now available in English and seven additional languages - Czech, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish. Available for desktop and mobile devices running on the Android™ and iOS® platforms, it is also integrated with AVG Zen™, which lets users see their protection, performance and privacy status across all devices from one central place.
About AVG PrivacyFix
AVG PrivacyFix™ is a free application that puts control of a consumer’s personal online privacy back in their hands. Available for desktop, mobile and tablet, it allows people to check, manage and personalise their privacy settings across popular sites such as Facebook®, Google®, LinkedIn®, Twitter® and across websites in general, all from one easy-to-use central control panel. With customised features for different devices on multiple platforms, AVG PrivacyFix provides a unified approach to privacy for the connected consumer and household.
Key features include:
- A personal privacy dashboard, available when you want it, on your phone, tablet, and computer.
- The ability to keep your privacy up to date, as AVG PrivacyFix lets you know when settings change or new settings need review.
- Guidance on keeping loved ones private by showing you when their Facebook and Twitter profiles may be exposed.
- Information that helps you understand who's collecting data about you and what your data may be worth to Facebook, Google and Twitter.
- Find out more about AVG PrivacyFix: http://www.avg.com/privacyfix
- Download AVG PrivacyFix application for PC, mobile and tablet:
- Read the AVG and MEF Global Consumer Trust annual report: http://www.mefmobile.org/activities-and-analytics/analytics/global-consumer-trust-report
- Download AVG’s Digital Privacy Guide: http://www.avg.com/ebooks/digital-privacy#.U7ahqRuYbIU
About AVG Technologies (NYSE: AVG). www.avg.com
AVG is the online security company providing leading software and services to secure devices, data and people. AVG has over 182 million active users, as of June 30, 2014, using AVG’s products and services including Internet security, performance optimization, and personal privacy and identity protection. By choosing AVG’s products, users become part of a trusted global community that engages directly with AVG to provide feedback and offer mutual support to other customers.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
AVG Media Contacts:
Michael McKinnon AVG 03 9581 0845 [email protected]
Shuna Boyd BoydPR 02 9418 8100 [email protected]
AVG Technologies AU
About AVG Technologies N.V. (NYSE: AVG)
AVG is the leading provider of software services to secure devices, data and people. AVG’s award-winning consumer portfolio includes internet security, performance optimization, location services, data controls and insights, and privacy and identity protection, for mobile devices and desktops. The AVG Business portfolio, delivered through a global partner network, provides cloud security and remote monitoring and management (RMM) solutions that protect small and medium businesses around the world. For more information visit www.avg.com.
P: 02 9418 8100
M: 0419 415 301