TORONTO, ON -- (Marketwired) --
- Leading North American investors to present investment ideas
- Conference aims to raise funds to support children's health in Canada and pediatric cancer research in the United States
The Sohn Conference Foundation and Capitalize for Kids are pleased to announce the inaugural "Sohn Conference Canada Presented By Capitalize for Kids" which will take place October 23 and 24, 2014 at Arcadian Court, Toronto. The two organizations are partnering to host the first annual investor conference in Toronto that will bring together some of the most successful investors in the region and globally to present their investment ideas and raise money to support children's health and pediatric cancer awareness, prevention and treatment. All proceeds will go to support the Foundations' respective missions.
Speakers at the event include:
- Sahm Adrangi, Managing Partner, Kerrisdale Capital Management
- Lee Ainslie III, Founder, Maverick Capital
- Chuck Akre, CEO & Managing Partner, Akre Capital Management
- Scott Ferguson, Managing Partner, Sachem Head Capital Management
- Guy Gottfried, Founder and Manager, Rational Investment Group
- Jody Lanasa III, Founder & Managing Partner, Serengeti Asset Management
- Marc Lasry, Chairman, Chief Executive Officer and Co-Founder, Avenue Capital Group
- Larry Robbins, Founder, Glenview Capital Management
- Jeffrey Smith, Chief Executive Officer & Chief Investment Officer, Starboard Value
- John Thiessen, Founding Partner and Portfolio Manager, Vertex One Asset Management
- Michael Thompson, Managing Partner and Portfolio Manager, BHR Capital
- Evan Vanderveer, Co-Founder & Managing Partner, Vanshap Capital
- Brian Zeid, Founder & CIO, Charter Bridge Capital Management
- Frank Brosens,Co-Founder, Taconic Capital Advisors
- Steven Shapiro, Founding Partner, GoldenTree
- Jamie Dinan, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, York Capital Management
- Jacob Doft, Founding Partner, Highline Capital Management
- Jeff Hales, Founding Partner & Portfolio Manager, Alignvest Capital Management
Details regarding conference registration, ticket packages and sponsorship opportunities can be found on the website.
Evan Sohn, co-founder of the Sohn Conference Foundation, said: "The Sohn Foundation is excited to be in Canada as it is an important partner to the US and a leader in the global financial marketplace. We look forward to joining forces with Capitalize for Kids and hope to together save lives by supporting cutting edge research, training the best and brightest pediatric specialists and funding bold initiatives to move forward the science of pediatric health."
Kyle MacDonald and Jeff Gallant, co-founders of Capitalize for Kids, commented: "Capitalize for Kids is proud to announce our partnership with The Sohn Foundation, an organization which has raised over $50 million for the advancement of child health. Our combined resources will not only speed advances in child health research and development, but also expand the Capitalize for Kids vision of creating a community of investment professionals "doing well by doing good".
For conference inquiries, donations, pledges, and/or for investment professionals to register your interest in attending, please contact the conference organizers at: [email protected]
Notes to editors
About The Sohn Conference Foundation:
The Sohn Conference Foundation is dedicated to the treatment and cure of pediatric cancer. The Foundation supports cutting-edge medical research, state-of-the-art research equipment, and innovative programs to ensure children with cancer survive and thrive.
The Foundation honors the memory of Ira Sohn, a talented Wall Street professional whose life was cut short when he passed away from cancer at the age of 29. In 1995, Ira's colleagues and friends Douglas Hirsch, Lance Laifer and Daniel Nir, along with Ira's mother Judith Sohn and brother Evan, created the Ira Sohn Research Conference, now called The Sohn Investment Conference. The organization has evolved into The Sohn Conference Foundation. It is a leading funder in pediatric cancer research and care, having raised more than US$50 million. The Sohn Investment Conference has conferences in New York, San Francisco, London, Hong Kong and Canada. For more information see http://www.sohnconference.org/
About Capitalize for Kids:
At Capitalize for Kids we are focused on mobilizing private capital for the public good by putting on initiatives at the intersection of finance and child health. Our platform has been designed with the goal of becoming a permanent and growing source of capital for the Hospital for Sick Children, one of the largest and most respected pediatric health-science centers in the world.
Capitalize for Kids takes a unique investor's approach to grant making. We support cutting-edge research, innovative technologies, and bold initiatives that will have the greatest long term impact in treatment and research in the field of child health. The members of this executive have a strong passion for the investment industry and have a set of deeply held beliefs about the importance of giving back to our community -- these values led to our partnership with the SickKids Foundation.
As the largest pediatric academic health sciences centre in Canada, SickKids is much more than a hospital. It is an organization driven by a mission to improve the health of children by providing the best in family-centered care, creating ground-breaking scientific and clinical advancements, and training the next generation of experts in child health. This work has an impact provincially, nationally and around the world.
As we move forward, our vision is to create an unparalleled investment community through Capitalize for Kids. Our direction is continuously guided by the philosophy of doing well by doing good -- an outlook we hope to instill in our member base. So please, come meet us in Toronto to learn from some of the brightest members of our financial community, and to support a cause you can stand behind.
For media inquiries, please contact: Capitalize for Kids [email protected]