95 Percent of Both Business and Leisure Travelers Report Airline Websites as Top Destination for Travel Planning
NEW YORK, NY -- (Marketwired) - Sociomantic Labs, the leader in programmatic advertising solutions for travel marketers, today announced initial findings from a new study on business and leisure travelers. The study, conducted by independent research firm ResearchNow, polled more than 1000 consumers and found that the majority of both business and leisure travelers book their plans more than two weeks in advance and that airline and hotel websites are still tops when researching travel.
Key findings of the survey include:
When It Comes to Travel, Time is on The Customer's Side
- When it comes to booking business travel, 57 percent of travelers book their travel more than two weeks in advance, and a surprising 27 percent book more than three weeks in advance. Only one percent claim to be last-minute flyers, booking travel less than 24 hours before departure.
- For personal travel, 88 percent book more than two weeks in advance and 70 percent book more than three weeks in advance. Even fewer (less than one percent) wait until the last minute.
Freedom Rings for All Travelers
- When asked how much freedom they have in making plans, half of business travel respondents indicated that they have a lot of freedom -- they know where they need to be, but when and how they get there is up to them.
If You Build Your Website, They Will Come
- Ninety-five percent of both business and leisure travelers listed airline websites as a go-to resource for travel planning. The same goes for hotels, with 96 percent and 97 percent respectively, indicating a hotel website as a go-to resource.
- Travel deal websites are also a top resource -- for business air travel (71 percent) and hotels (63 percent), as well as personal travel (78 percent) and hotels (74 percent).
- Surprisingly, print ads (newspapers, brochures) were indicated as a top three go-to resource for 40 percent of personal travel and 41 percent of personal hotels.
- Fifty-nine percent of respondents said that if they were shown a personalized digital ad focused on discounts, upgrades or other offers, they would be more likely to purchase.
"Travelers, like all online shoppers, have more options than ever when it comes to making plans. And unsurprisingly, airline and hotel websites are today the go-to destination for research," said JB Brokaw, North American president, Sociomantic. "This is a huge opportunity for travel retailers. Travelers are not being pressured to purchase. They have the time to book and the freedom to make their plans, so show them the offers personalized to them and their needs and capture these travelers before they wander too far."
Additional results from the survey can be found in the full report overview, "No Reservations: How Travelers Plan & Book Online."
About Sociomantic Labs
Sociomantic Labs drives incremental sales at scale for e-commerce marketers with programmatic display advertising solutions for online, mobile and social. Sociomantic's proprietary Streaming CRM(tm) technology enables marketers in more than 60 countries worldwide to harness the value of CRM and other first-party data assets to deliver individually personalized dynamic ads for retargeting, prospecting and loyalty campaigns -- helping marketers turn real-time data into real-time ROI. Sociomantic has been profitable since its founding in Berlin in 2009, and has grown organically to more than 200 employees in 17 offices today.