A look at the AFL preseason Sports Social Media Index (SSMI) developed by Sports Geek sees a vastly different ladder than most AFL pundits are predicting for the 2010 AFL Season.
Leaders of the pack
- Essendon are front runners in the social media stakes engaging their fans via Twitter & Facebook then backing it up with “The Hangar” developed to bring fans to the club web site.
- Melbourne is proving itself in social media led by CEO Cameron Schwab tweeting news and presenting Demons strategic plans on YouTube on Whiteboard Wednesday.
- North Melbourne have a well rounded approach to social media they even have a Facebook fan page for CEO Eugene Arocca.
- Hawthorn has had success on YouTube with a video poking fun at the new myki system getting 24,000 views even though it may have caused president Jeff Kennett some grief.
New boys on the block
Gold Coast & Greater Western Sydney are both active in promoting in social media using Facebook Fan Pages & Twitter.
Social Media Cellar Dwellers
- Brisbane have no social media presence
- Western Bulldogs have just opened a Twitter account @westernbulldogs
Sports Social Media Index - AFL Preseason 2010
North Melbourne 163
St Kilda 134
Sydney Swans 132
Port Adelaide 124
Gold Coast 123
West Coast 111
Greater Western Sydney 101
Western Bulldogs 40
Sports Geek has developed the Sports Social Media Index (SSMI) to rate the performance of sports franchise using social media. The SSMI cover the key platforms of sports social media, how each platform is used and how they engage their fan base. The key to the SSMI is not about comparing Facebook fans or Twitter followers but how teams connect with their fans and increase the value of their brand using social media. SSMI was developed after meeting with US franchises in the NBA, NFL, MLB & NHL seeing how they are engaging fans using social media. For comparison some US SSMI scores include LA Kings (NHL) 226, Dallas Mavericks (NBA) 225, New York Knicks (NBA) 216, LA Clippers (NBA) 185 and Dallas Cowboys (NFL) 77.
For detailed insights and examples on the SSMI ratings check out
Sports Geek is a Sports/IT consultancy connecting sports, fans & sponsors using technology. Sports Geek recently returned from a US sports study trip gaining insight into the latest technology trends used in sports.