Victorians who have demonstrated leadership in sustainability are being encouraged to enter the Premier's Sustainability Awards 2014 to showcase their work.
Sustainability Victoria CEO, Stan Krpan, said that the awards are a great way to celebrate sustainability in action.
"The Premier’s Sustainability Awards reward people and organisations who have made practical efforts to reduce their everyday environmental impact.
"Finalists and winners receive valuable recognition from the Victorian government, their communities and customers. They can use their involvement in the program to demonstrate a genuine and practical commitment to sustainability.
"Their sustainability outcomes combined with the status of the awards can be converted to business opportunity and real competitive advantage," Mr Krpan added.
Now in their 12th year, the Premier's Sustainability Awards recognise and reward leadership in sustainability. Entries are now open for any business, community group, organisation or individual with a commitment to sustainability.
There are nine categories in this year’s awards program, including a new category Cleaner Yarra and Bay. The categories are:
- Cleaner Yarra and Bay – Leadership, commitment and excellence by an individual, community group, business, organisation, or government to protect and/or enhance the health of the Yarra River, Port Phillip Bay and/or its waterways.
- Community - Leadership, commitment and excellence in delivery of sustainable projects or programs which have demonstrated widespread benefits for Victorian communities.
- Education - Development and delivery of educational programs and institutional practices that address and contribute to a more sustainable Victoria for current and future generations.
- Environmental Protection - Leadership, commitment and excellence by a business in the protection of the environment.
- Infrastructure and Buildings - Excellence in contribution to innovative design, construction/delivery and/or operation of sustainable infrastructure and buildings; whether it is a new structure or re-imagining of existing form.
- Innovative Products or Services - Outstanding innovation in products and/or services that reduce environmental impact from a lifecycle perspective.
- Large Business - Outstanding achievements by a large business in adopting and implementing sustainability principles.
- Small and Medium Enterprises (SME) - Outstanding achievements in small-medium business for their adoption of sustainable measures and minimising their environmental footprint.
- Tourism - Excellence in sustainable tourism which contributes to the understanding, appreciation, and conservation of Victoria’s natural landscapes, ecology and local cultural heritage and/or provides tourism services through sustainable and efficient practices.
In addition to these awards, the Premier will personally select two overall winners: the Premier's Regional Recognition Award and the Premier's Recognition Award.
Winners will be announced at a gala Awards Dinner on Thursday 2 October at Peninsula, Docklands.
The Premier’s Sustainability Awards are managed by Sustainability Victoria on behalf of the Victorian Government and the Premier of Victoria.
Entries close on Monday 2 June.
Visit www.sustainabilityawards.vic.gov.au for entry criteria and kits, queries and information sessions.
Catherine NewellP: 0423 587 478
Erin ReeveP: 0437 309 891