Hyundai Motor Company Australia has finished the first month of 2014 confidently placing fourth overall with 7,152 total sales, up +4.9% compared to the same period last year. This equated to 8.7% market share and represented a record 20th month of YOY sales growth for the brand.
For passenger car sales, Hyundai’s total of 4,797 units sold placed the brand in fourth position with an 11.5% market share ahead of Ford, Volkswagen, and Nissan.
Hyundai’s ix35 continues to be the number one selling vehicle in the competitive Small SUV segment with 1,496 units sold in January achieving a 26.5% segment share.
Another five Hyundai models also achieved podium results in January, with the iMax, iLoad, and Veloster all finishing in second place in their respective segments, whilst the i30 and i40 finishing third.
Combined sales of i20 and Accent achieved third place, while combined sales of i30 (hatch) and Elantra (sedan) ranked second place in their respective segments.
Total industry sales for the month of 82,285 were down -3.7% YOY, in contrast Hyundai’s total sales achieved a growth of +4.9% over the same period.
“January sales produced another record month up 4.9%, and our 20th consecutive month of year-on-year sales growth,” said Damien Meredith, Director of Sales, Hyundai Motor Company Australia. “In a month where the industry was down -3.7% this is a very solid effort for the brand to open the year with, and testament to the success of our current Hyundai Trophy campaign which is putting great value cars into the hands of both brand loyal, and brand new customers.”
Hyundai Motor Company Australia - January Results
- Light Cars <$25k: Hyundai ranked third with combined sales of i20 (609 units) and Accent (438 units) totaling 1,047 vehicles sold and a segment share of 13.6%
- Small Cars <$40k: Hyundai ranked second with combined sales of i30 (2,486 units) and Elantra sales (579 units) totaling 3,065 vehicles and a segment share of 15.6%
- Medium <$60K: i40 ranked third with sales of 242 units and 7.8% segment share
- SUV Small <$40k: ix35 ranked first with sales of 1,496 units and 26.5% segment share
- SUV Large <$70k: Santa Fe ranked sixth with sales of 508 units and 6.1% segment share
- Sports Cars <$80k: Veloster ranked second with sales of 315 units and 24% segment share
- People Movers <$55K: iMax ranked second with sales of 128 units and 17.3% segment share
- Van/CC 2.5-3.5t: iLoad ranked second with sales of 351 units and 35.1% segment share