MILWAUKEE, WI -- (Marketwired) -- With the reported increase in identity theft and online security breaches in recent days, the topic of protecting online accounts with secure, high-strength passwords is more important than ever. The average person has 25 online accounts, more than six passwords, and uses eight different log-ins a day* -- that's a lot to remember. As a leader in safety and security, Master Lock is reminding consumers that the Master Lock Vault provides the highest level of website security available today to secure personal digital data.
Master Lock's Vault is a trusted mobile app and website for password and lock combination storage along with a wide range of options to store personal information, critical documents and more. The Master Lock Vault provides the highest level of website security available today -- a 256-bit SSL encrypted connection -- for safe storage of users' security-sensitive information. The Vault also employs strong device and two-tier user authentication controls as well as redundant firewall protection and intrusion detection monitoring 24/7. Users simply set up an account and then can review, add, change and delete stored information quickly, easily and safely from any computer, smart phone or tablet.
"The importance of online security heightens every day," said Rebecca Smith, vice president, marketing for Master Lock. "With secure, complex passwords, you can lower your risk of a security breach to your online accounts. The Master Lock Vault allows users to safely store and organize these complex passwords, which makes protecting your online accounts easy, and offers you peace of mind."
Master Lock wants to help you keep online accounts protected, and is offering five easy tips to do so.
1. Create secure, complex passwords. There are many ways for hackers to steal information, one of which is a compromised password. Protect your accounts by using a password with a combination of numbers, symbols and upper and lowercase letters.
Take your password to the next level by adding to its length. A password that is at least eight characters long is estimated to take one year to crack. Learn more about creating secure passwords and what to avoid here:https://www.masterlockvault.com/how-to-create-a-secure-password.
2. Use multiple, unique passwords. Using the same passwords to protect all your online accounts is like using the same key for your home, car and office. If someone was to gain access to one, your other assets also become compromised. The same idea is true with your online accounts.
3. Change passwords often. Passwords are recommended to be changed at least every six months. If your existing password has been compromised anyone can access your account. Changing your password frequently minimizes the opportunity for anyone who is trying to hack your account. The Master Lock Vault offers a "Remind Me" service where you can set reminders to alert you when it's time to make a change, so you can update and re-save your new password in the Vault.
4. Keep passwords secret. A sticky note on your monitor, a page in a note pad or a Word document is not a safe place to store passwords. You can take advantage of the "Save Passwords" feature in the Master Lock Vault, which provides secure storage to safely keep all of your usernames and passwords in one place whether you use them every day, once a month or once a year.
Gaining access to your passwords in the Master Lock Vault is easy too -- you can access your personal account anytime, anywhere by logging on atwww.MasterLockVault.com or through the app available on a variety of smart phone and tablet devices.
5. Use two-tier authentication. User authentication, also known as two-tier or device authentication, should always be enabled if offered by sites that collect your secure or private data at registration. With this enabled, you should receive an email or text message during registration with a verification code to complete your account set-up. The Master Lock Vault uses two-tier authentication for additional security. While this may seem inconvenient at the time of sign-up, the extra protection is well worth this extra step.
The Master Lock Vault provides you with all the tools you need to keep your online accounts and information secure. Trying to remember a strong password such as, "E;:73*lv47 ga0" for each online account is difficult, but with the Master Lock Vault, accessing these are easy, convenient, and secure. You can sign up for a free Master Lock Vault account by visiting: https://www.masterlockvault.com/Registration/Email
About Master Lock
Master Lock is the world's largest manufacturer of padlocks and related security products providing innovative security solutions for home, automotive, campus, power sports, bike and storage security needs for consumers and industry alike. Master Lock Company LLC is an operating unit of Fortune Brands Home & Security, Inc., a leading consumer brands company. Headquartered in Deerfield, Ill., Fortune Brands Home & Security, Inc. (NYSE: FBHS) is included in the S&P MidCap 400 Index. For more information about Master Lock, visitwww.masterlock.com.
* According to "A Large-Scale Study of Web Password Habits" from Microsoft Research.