The Fourth Startup Weekend Adelaide results in 11 new businesses
Startup Weekend Adelaide [#StartupADL] was held with great success at the University of South Australia over the weekend.
With 63 registered participants and 183 attendees in total throughout the weekend, 22 ideas were pitched on Friday and 11 teams were formed around the top ideas. The teams worked feverishly through the weekend to create viable products and gain customer validation on their business ideas.
“This event is crucial to turning Adelaide into a city of entrepreneurs,” Startup Adelaide Executive Director Chris Hooper said, “it’s a great opportunity for young people to launch their business ideas.”
The winners $20,000+ prize pool were:
- First Prize: SoGiftIt a crowd funding app for buying gifts in the office.
- Second Prize: RunAround a running trail up with audio commentary on surrounding tourist attractions, pitch by 13 year old Peter.
- Third Prize: Uplus2 a triple blind date app for singles and their friends
- Connected Prize: Sumultunes is a social streaming music app
- Scholarships: Ticket Loop a consolidated ticketing agent for concerts and AdRates an advertising search platform.
The judging panel consisted of:
- Graham Wakeling of InBusiness Magazine
- Stephen Rodda of ITEK Ventures
- Kishen Vijayadass of BDO
- Shane Yeend of Imagination Entertainment
On social media, #StartupADL was trending on Twitter all weekend, with 2,511 tweets and 1,983,821 impressions worldwide.
Photos of the event can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/startupweekendadelaide
Video of the event can be found here:
Startup Weekend (Adelaide)
Startup Weekend Adelaide is a 54-hour learning marathon in which young entrepreneurs focus on ‘finding the next big thing’, either a web or mobile application that could form the basis of a viable business. The event is powered by the Kauffman Foundation. Startup Adelaide Inc is a non-profit community organisation which runs Startup Weekend