Toasts the Season With Its Top 10 Beach Bars Around the Globe
BOSTON, MA -- (Marketwired) -- Jun 18, 2013 -- The folks at Cheapflights.com, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, are definitely in summer mode. Two weeks ago, they published their Top 10 City Beaches, and, this week, the team is continuing the theme with its list of Top 10 Beach Bars to toast the official kick off of summer, this Friday. Summer is the time for fun, sun and relaxation. There's no better way to chill out in the summer than to hit a beach bar, relax in a lounge chair with your toes in the sand, sip on a cocktail (maybe two), and simply enjoy the laidback atmosphere of these open-air oases. Ahhhh!
Beach bars are a global phenomenon. Below are five watering holes to make the list from very different parts of the world -- the Caribbean, Africa, the Middle East, Australia and Europe:
- Pelican Bar, Negril, Jamaica - Resting on stilts on a sand bank off the shore of Treasure Beach, Pelican Bar looks like something straight out of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. A short boat ride from the coast, this little piece of rugged paradise is the perfect place to do a whole lot of nothing. Sunbathe, swim in the shallow waters, eat fresh fried fish and wash everything down with a beer or rum punch. The interior is covered in flags, license plates, t-shirts and various knickknacks left by visitors from all over the world so make sure you bring your own little something to leave behind.
- Badeschiff, Berlin, Germany - The river's edge in post-industrial Berlin doesn't exactly spring to mind when you think of an eye-catching sandy Riviera. But that is exactly what you'll find every summer along the river Spree. Together with sandy beach and open-air bar, Berlin's floating 'beach,' Badeschiff, has become a city landmark and a draw card for visitors and locals alike. In summer, DJs spin the latest tracks while locals sip ice-cold beverages and make the most of the sun. But the Badeschiff isn't just for summer. In winter, the area is transformed into a wellness retreat with two saunas, heated pool and bar.
- The Beach Pavilion, Hayman Island, Australia - Hayman Island is the most northerly of the pristine Whitsunday Islands off the coast of Queensland and, though it's a private island, everyone is welcome to visit. The Hayman luxury resort is the only structure on this small island -- it's just 400 hectares in size -- and is surrounded with bush walks and idyllic, deserted beaches. But if you're looking for something truly special, the Resort's Beach Pavilion is the place to be. Open to the public and resort guests, enjoy a beer, cocktails, or a glass of award-winning Australian wine right on the beach while taking in the breath-taking view of the Coral Sea.
- Barasti, Dubai, United Arab Emirates - Dance barefoot in the white sands of Jumeira Beach at the award-winning Barasti bar in Dubai. Overlooking the Arabian Sea, the lively Barasti has become a popular stop on the Dubai social scene offering music, food and delicious cocktails. The perfect spot whatever time of day -- lounge around when the sun is up, grab a bite to eat, watch the sunset, and then party through the night.
- Shimmy Beach Club, Cape Town, South Africa - Looking out onto the busy V&A Waterfront and against a backdrop of Cape Town's iconic Table Mountain, Shimmy Beach Club is the city's newest ocean-front destination. Shimmy's large outside deck offers panoramic sea views and a 43-foot bar. Simply watch the ships glide in and out of the busy harbor and, if you're lucky, you may even catch a glimpse of a whale or two during migration season. For an even better view, watch the world go by from the bar's 72-foot infinity pool (it's heated in winter). Book ahead and reserve one of Shimmy's beach loungers (R100/$10 per day) and enjoy drinks while soaking up the sun around the pool. A beach towel is included with your lounger chair, and changing rooms and showers are available.
The Ty Coch Inn, Porthdinllaen, Wales; Tabon Te Keekee, North Tarawa, Kiribati; The Watering Hole, Cornwall, England; Flora-Bama Lounge, Pensacola, Florida, United States and Purobeach, Tivat, Montenegro, round out Cheapflights.com's list of Top 10 Beach Bars. For further details on these hot spots and to read Cheapflights.com's complete list, visit www.cheapflights.com/news/top-10-beach-bars.
About Momondo Group
Momondo Group is an online travel media and technology company that is driven by the belief that an open world is a better world. The group now serves travel search and inspiration to over 13 million visitors a month -- plus 6 million travel newsletter subscribers -- via its Cheapflights (www.cheapflights.com) and momondo (www.momondo.com) brands.
Skygate began the sourcing of complex air-travel data in 1992, while Cheapflights pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users in 1996 and momondo launched meta-search in the Nordic countries in 2006.
The Group has offices in London, Copenhagen, Boston and Toronto, with a consumer base across more than 20 core international markets but users all over the world.
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/cheapflights
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/cheapflights
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2339371