AVG Technologies AU has some helpful tips for keeping consumers and their mobile devices safe on St Patrick’s Day.
AVG Technologies AU has provided some helpful tips for keeping consumers and their mobile devices safe on St. Patrick’s Day.
St Patrick’s Day, the 17th of March, is a day of cultural and religious celebration for the “Feast of St Patrick” that is often commemorated with parades, pub parties, city festivities and large crowds. As with all major celebrations, the day’s reputation is to encourage people to relax, enjoy the company of friends and family and toast life with a glass of green beer or two. However, as with all major celebrations, crowded gatherings have the tendency to attract pickpockets and thieves who can easily steal consumers’ personal devices in the blink of an eye.
“In this mobile age, our smart devices hold an immense amount of personal data, such as financial details, emails and intimate photos, which can easily be left behind or stolen during celebratory holidays,” Michael McKinnon, Security Advisor at AVG, said. “AVG wants to encourage a fun-filled day with peace of mind and no bad luck, so we aim to protect our users wherever they go with the power to track, lock and erase personal information on their smart devices before they are accessed by unwanted perpetrators.”
To help keep the luck of the Irish with the good guys, AVG has created a list of tips to help keep consumers and their mobile devices safe during their shamrock celebrations:
• Be aware of your surroundings and report suspicious behaviour
• Don’t let go of personal property: keep phones in pockets or bags, and keep bags attached to you
• Leave things at home: do you really need to carry all the normal credit/debit cards?
• If you need to use your phone, step aside or off the street and into a shop so you are less visible
• Protect your device with a PIN
• Install software such as AVG AntiVirus Free for Android™ that allows you to lock, locate and wipe your device
• Keep details of how to block credit cards and phones somewhere simple to access
• If you are unfortunate enough to be a victim, ensure you lock your data and stop all of your credit cards immediately. Make the benefit to the bad guys smaller by acting faster.
AVG Technologies AU
About AVG Technologies N.V. (NYSE: AVG)
AVG is the leading provider of software services to secure devices, data and people. AVG’s award-winning consumer portfolio includes internet security, performance optimization, location services, data controls and insights, and privacy and identity protection, for mobile devices and desktops. The AVG Business portfolio, delivered through a global partner network, provides cloud security and remote monitoring and management (RMM) solutions that protect small and medium businesses around the world. For more information visit www.avg.com.
P: 02 9418 8100
M: 0419 415 301