Two Prime Minister's Awards will boost Australia's leading Environmental Awards Program.
The new awards, decided before the election was called, are for Environmentalist of the Year and Young Environmentalist of the Year. They are part of the annual United Nations Association of Australia World Environment Day Awards, now taking entries nationally.
Another new award, from Swinburne University, is for Excellence in Sustainable Product Design.
The Awards are open to businesses, local governments, community organisations, individuals, schools and the media.
They recognise innovation and dedication in protecting, managing or restoring the environment. The Awards have celebrated some of the most important and exiting environmental projects in Australia, and encouraged environmental leadership and promote awareness of these issues on a global scale. They support the UN World Environment Day every June 5.
The Awards are:
• Prime Minister’s Environmentalist of the Year Award
• Prime Minister’s Young Environmentalist of the Year Award
• Swinburne University Excellence in Sustainable Product Design Award
• NSW Office of Environment and Heritage Sustainability Leadership Awards
• Biodiversity Award
• Business Awards
• Community Award
• Environmental School Award
• Excellence in Sustainable Water Management Award
• Green Building Award
• Local Government Awards
• Media Award for Environmental Reporting
• Sustainability Education Award
Nominations for the PM Awards close Monday 22 April and please note that nominations for all other awards close Wednesday 1 May, 2013.
Winners will be announced at the Awards Presentation Dinner to be held on Friday 7 June, 2013 at the Park Hyatt Melbourne
For more information and to enter please visit: www.unaavictoria.org.au