With summer on our doorsteps, GIO Insurance has revealed North Wagga Wagga, Yenda and Lockhart were NSW’s worst storm-affected suburbs over the past year.
The average storm/flood claim in North Wagga was more than $135,000, while Yenda, east of Griffith, saw average claims costs come in at just under $75,000.
GIO spokesperson Chris Newlan said the figures were a reminder that the warmer weather can also bring sudden storms and heavy rains.
“Each year storm season causes a lot of headaches for NSW residents and the past financial year has been no different,” said Mr Newlan.
“North Wagga was badly affected by major storms and the resulting flooding devastated the community.
“This just shows the frightening level of damage that can be caused by a severe storm.”
GIO Insurance has over 90 years experience in protecting NSW residents, and knows the impact severe summer storms can have on families and communities.
“That is why we include automatic flood and storm cover for our customers,” said Mr Newlan.
“However, there are some things that can’t be replaced by insurance, and so we’d like to remind people be prepared and get their house in order.”
“A little bit of preparation can go a long way in protecting not only your home and possessions, but also your family,” said Mr Newlan.
Preparation tips for storm season
• Check gutters and downpipes. Backed up gutters can send water flowing into your home during heavy rains.
• Check the roof for damaged or loose tiles, or raised corners of corrugated sheets. A roof in good repair is more likely to withstand high winds and keep out water.
• Trim overgrown tree branches. Check with your local council if you’re unsure about which trees / branches you can cut. Do not attempt to trim trees near power lines.
• Remove or secure loose items around the garden which could be blown about in high winds.
• Keep a battery operated torch and AM radio handy in case of loss of electricity, as well as a first aid kit, spare water and canned food. Use the radio for power restoration updates and possible evacuation notices.
• Consider putting together a small package of keepsakes and things you would hate to lose, in case you need to leave quickly.
• Make sure your home and contents insurance and paperwork is up to date.
For media enquires or to arrange an interview please contact:
Chris Newlan – 0403 058 455
*Taken from GIO claims data.
GIO General Ltd offers and issues a range of different types of home insurance that allow you to enjoy flexibility, optional covers and discounts. You can relax in knowing that if the unexpected happens to your home, we’ll help take care of your insurance for you and help things get back on track sooner. Policy conditions apply. For more information please read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement at gio.com.au or call us for a copy on 13 10 10.
P: 0403 058 455