A mob of tap dancers can make the earth move! This July, Melbourne will experience a different kind of tremor, when the Australian Tap Dance Festival hits town.
The Australian Tap Dance Festival (sponsored by Capezio) is the only one of its kind in Australasia where participants fly in from interstate and overseas to be part of this cutting edge festival. From July 9th to 15th Melbourne will become the hub of tap dance in the southern hemisphere.
There is something for everyone, from a Shim Sham Flash Mob to Capezio Dance Off Contest to masterclasses, a free absolute beginners class and the highly anticipated ‘Australia’s Got Tap!’ festival show, you don’t have to have a pair of tap shoes to enjoy the festivities!
Featuring an all Australian festival Faculty including:
• TV, film & stage professionals (from Happy Feet II, Got To Dance (UK), Bootmen, Tap Dogs, 42nd Street, Frank Sinatra Concert, Australia’s Got Talent and more)
• a Fred Astaire International Tap Champion
• co-founder of Tap Dogs & Hot Shoe Shuffle
(Australia’s most successful tap dance shows)
• a member of Acia Gray’s renowned Tapestry Dance Company in the USA
• Australian representative for Nigel Lythgoe’s Superstars of Dance
• the creator of Tapatak Oz syllabus (used in Aus, NZ, UK, Italy, France, USA)
"[the festival] delivered more than expected. This festival follows the traditions of the N.Y.C and L.A. Tap Festivals with the injection of our own unique Australian tap style and culture." - Dance Informa magazine (previous Australian Tap Dance Festival)
Australian Tap Dance Festival
'Australia's Got Tap!'
Friday 13th July at 7:30pm
The Australian Tap Dance Festival Show
The most anticipated event of the festival!
Featuring Australia's Best Tap Dancers, performers from Tap Dogs, Happy Feet 2, Bootmen, 42nd Street, Hot Shoe Shuffle, Got to Dance (UK) and more!
Witness the polished group performances by the participants of the 5-Day Residencies!
An experience of classic, famous routines, original choreography and live music.
Held at Irving Theatre (Lauriston Girls School) - 38 Huntingtower Rd, Malvern
Festival happenings include:
• 5 Day Residencies (Monday - Friday)
• Masterclasses (Saturday, Sunday)
• Lunchtime talks/videos (Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri) - FREE
• Film Screening (Monday night)
• Flash Mob of Historical, Famous Tap Routines (Beginning Tuesday night) - FREE
• Jam Night (Wednesday night)
• Capezio® Dance-Off (Saturday night)
• Absolute Beginner Class (Sunday) - FREE