Stand out from the crowd with My Resume Builder
Your first career step can be daunting. Graduate positions are sought after and it can be difficult knowing how to stand out from the crowd for the right reasons.
Officially launching this week, My Resume Builder delivers tertiary students with the tools they need to write a professional Resume the way Australian employers like it and helping them get a job interview.
Developed by two industry experts with more than 15 years experience in graduate and professional recruitment, including resume writing and design, My Resume Builder enables students to articulate their skills and filters out irrelevant information.
“My Resume Builder increases the chances of getting an interview by helping students to construct their Resume based on their core skills, academic qualifications and achievements, work experiences, memberships and extra-curricular activities,” says co-founder and director, Kerri Peterson.
“Students simply select a resume design and answer a range of straight forward questions, and they are ready to start applying.”
“After seeing many graduates miss out on jobs because of poorly developed resumes containing irrelevant information over the years, we decided to set up My Resume Builder to give them the ‘extra boost’ a resume needs to stand out in a crowded job market.”
“Your Resume is the first point of contact you have with your future employer, so it’s vital that it sells your skills, potential and value to a future employer,” said Ms Peterson.
My Resume Builder’s top dos and don’ts for graduates when preparing a Resume:
2. Add colour to your academic background by including details of your best academic achievements such as awards, academic prizes or scholarships whilst at University or TAFE and even in your final year in secondary school
3. If relevant to the employer, describe any reports, assignments or honours thesis you have written which achieved exceptional marks
4. Employers want to see the skills you have gained through your extra-curricular activities such as your role in music, drama, sporting, scientific, technical and environmental activities or clubs
5. Fix any formatting issues (i.e., wrapping paragraphs, font and spacing inconsistencies)
- Don’t apply with the same Resume for every role advertised. You must tailor your Resume according to the mandatory and desirable skills / experience the position specifies
- If you have a humorous email address (e.g., [email protected]) it is strongly advised you change it to a more professional email address
- Omit any reference in your Resume to sex, age, race, marital status, religion, home address location or other personal information that could be used in a discriminatory fashion
- Don’t switch tenses within your Resume – other than - the job you currently perform should be in present tense (i.e., write reports), past jobs should be in past tense (i.e., wrote reports)
- Don’t lie about anything you include in your Resume, you will get caught out
- You are not required to provide referee details unless you are specifically requested to do so. If you do include your referees’ details, ensure that you contact your referees in advance to seek their permission to be your referee. Tell them about the job you are applying for so that they can talk about your relevant skills and experience.
Everything a tertiary student needs to include in their resume is covered by My Resume Builder including examples of skills, experiences and achievements graduate employers look for in tertiary student resumes. Go to http://www.myresumebuilder.com.au
Behind My Resume Builder
Kerri Peterson - Director, My Resume Builder Pty Ltd
- More than 15 years experience in Graduate and Professional recruitment, recruitment marketing, Resume research and design
- Has worked in senior management recruitment marketing roles with global professional services firms and recruitment agencies specialising in IT&T, Finance, Banking, Accounting, Legal, Administration, Supply Chain, Logistics, Sales, Marketing, Trades, Engineering, Scientific and Executive recruitment
- Founded The CV Company in 2009 and writes professional Resumes for Students, Undergraduates, Graduates, Trades, Professional and Technical skilled occupations
- Author of eBook - Mirror, Mirror On The Wall, Will My Resume Rise Above All?
Penny Holt - Director, My Resume Builder Pty Ltd
- More than 15 years' experience in the Recruitment and Executive Search industry with expertise including the leadership of contracting, recruitment and senior executive search services
- Has worked in senior management, leadership, business development and consulting positions
- Founded Seed Recruitment & Search in 2007. Specialises in recruitment and search for professionals and executives seeking meaningful flexible career positions
- Qualified Executive Coach working with candidates and clients to make workplace flexibility work
My Resume Builder website was developed by Tonic.
My Resume Builder
My Resume Builder is an online resume builder helping students create a resume just the way Australian employers like it. My Resume Builder has been developed by two industry experts with more than 15 years in Graduate and Professional recruitment, resume writing, research and design.
P: 02 92831666