Lonely Planet has chosen Darwin as one of the world’s Top 10 Cities for next year in LONELY PLANET’S BEST IN TRAVEL 2012, published on October 31st.
BEST IN TRAVEL 2012 is Lonely Planet’s seventh eagerly-awaited annual collection of the best trends, destinations, journeys and experiences for the upcoming year.
Ranked 10th on the book’s list of Top 10 Cities 2012, Darwin is “multicultural, freewheeling and vibrant,” according to Lonely Planet.
“With a pumping nocturnal scene, magical markets and restaurants, and world-class wilderness areas just down the road, today Darwin is the triumph of Australia’s Top End,” the book says. “It’s now a hip city to visit rather than just the end of the road for lost souls.”
Lonely Planet’s Top 10 Cities 2012 are:
1. London, England
2. Muscat, Oman
3. Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4. Cádiz, Spain
5. Stockholm, Sweden
6. Guimarães, Portugal
7. Santiago, Chile
8. Hong Kong, China
9. Orlando, USA
10. Darwin, Australia
BEST IN TRAVEL’s recommendations are drawn from hundreds of ideas submitted by Lonely Planet’s staff, authors and community of travellers, bloggers and tweeters. Their suggestions are then refined by a panel of in-house travel experts, based on topicality, excitement, value and that special X-factor.
Other BEST IN TRAVEL 2012 highlights include:
- The Top 10 Countries to visit in 2012: Uganda, Myanmar (Burma), Ukraine, Jordan, Denmark, Bhutan, Cuba, New Caledonia, Taiwan and Switzerland.
- The Top 10 Regions to visit in 2012: Coastal Wales, La Ruta Maya, Northern Kenya, Arunachal Pradesh, Hvar, Sicily, Canada’s Maritime Provinces, Queenstown & Southern Lakes, Borneo and Poitou-Charentes.
- The best travel experiences for the year ahead in the book’s 17 “Top Travel Lists”. These include the “Best-Value Destinations for 2012” (Northeastern USA scores the top spot) and “The 10 Best Things to Do in 2012” (“Honour Scott’s Polar Centenary” is the year’s number one recommendation).
- Over 35 events mapped out month-by-month in the 2012 travel planner, from the Muscat Festival in Oman to Cuba’s Christmas festival, Las Parrandas in Remedios.
LONELY PLANET’S BEST IN TRAVEL 2012
• 208pp, full-colour, 180mm x 145mm, paperback
• RRP: $24.99
• Available from Dymocks, lonelyplanet.com and all good bookstores from 31 October 2011
• Also available in a beautiful full-colour digital edition, from the iBookstore
NOTE TO EDITORS
* Embargoed until 00:01 (AEDT), Monday 31 October 2011
* Selected extracts & images available with permission
* Review copies available
* Lonely Planet authors are available for interview
Lonely Planet is the world’s leading travel content provider. Started in 1973, we enable curious travellers to experience the world and get to the heart of a place via guidebooks to every destination on the planet, an award-winning website, a suite of mobile and digital travel products and a dedicated traveller community. Visit us at www.lonelyplanet.com.
P: +44 (0)20 7106 2151