MEDIA EVENT: DRY JULY LAUNCH – CLEAR YOUR HEAD, MAKE A DIFFERENCE
TIME: 10:45am for 11:00am
DATE: Monday 22nd June
ADDRESS: Prince of Wales Hospital (POWH)
Radiation Oncology Unit
Level 2, High Street Entrance, Randwick NSW
Who will be there:
Adam Spencer, Tom Williams, Lindsay McDougall (AKA The Doctor), Roy Billing, Tom O’Callaghan POWHF Chairman Dr Michael Jackson - Director of Radiation Oncology, Professor Robyn Ward - Professor of Medicine, Tina Clark - Director Prince of Wales Hospital Foundation (and cancer patient treated at Prince of Wales Cancer Centre), Louise Mahony – Dreams 2 live 4, Phil Grove, Brett Macdonald and Kenny McGilvary (Dry July).
Parking: Parking is available via the Baker Street entrance.
Dry July, is on again!!! It’s the healthy, fun way to give your body a break from alcohol while raising vital funds to help cancer patients being treated by one of Australia’s leading cancer treatment centres at the Prince of Wales Hospital (POWH), Randwick.
Dry July challenges people to commit to a self imposed ‘one month prohibition’ - one month without drinking alcohol while at the same time raising funds through sponsorship from family, friends, mates and colleagues with all donations directly impacting on the lives of people being treated for cancer in every state and territory across Australia.
Founded in 2008 by ‘three-heavy-drinking-guys’ who decided to pack in the grog for a month, get healthy and raise a few bucks to help cancer patients, with more than 1000 people signing up to go “Dry in July”, the campaign generated a grand total of $257,283 to aid cancer patients treated at Prince of Wales Hospital”.
The Prince of Wales Hospital will once again be the beneficiary of the funds raised by Dry Julyers from NSW. The Hospital which treats 3000 cancer patients annually provides more than 40,000 cancer treatments each year for patients from all corners of NSW and interstate.
Leanne M Zalapa Chief Executive Officer of the Prince of Wales Hospital Foundation said, “Dry July is a fabulous way for us all to get healthy and at the same time, make a difference to cancer patients at POW Hospital. It will kick start our plans for a new cancer centre, help deliver an electronic record system for our cancer patients; and for some of them, realise their dreams through the Dreams 2 Live 4 program.”
Phil Grove, one of the founders of Dry July said, “We were overwhelmed with the response to Dry July in 2008. People really got behind the concept of staying off the grog for a month and getting their mates on board to sponsor them so they could make a difference to people living with cancer.”
Following the tremendous success of the inaugural Dry July, with the aim of raising funds to have an immediate and direct positive impact on people living with cancer, in 2009 Dry July is going national to benefit cancer patients treated by leading hospitals throughout the country.
Register for Dry July today, give your body a break from booze and help support NSW cancer patients treated at Prince of Wales Hospital. Do Dry July - log on to http://www.dryjuly.com
HOW TO BECOME A DRY JULYER
1. Commit to being ‘Dry’ throughout the month of July
• To make a difference to your health and to people living with cancer.
• Log on to http://www.dryjuly.com where you’ll have your own Dry Julyer profile page.
3. Tell your friends
• Send out an email, text message, Twitter it or log on to Facebook to tell all your friends that you are a Dry Julyer and ask them to sponsor your efforts.
4. Like being part of a team?
• Get a bunch of friends to come on board or challenge your peers to a Dry July and go ‘head-to-head’ to see who can last the longest and raise the biggest bucks
5. Want your efforts to raise big bucks?
• Talk to your boss and ask if your company will become a sponsor
6. Need a night off for a special occasion?
• For a minimum donation of $25.00 you can purchase a Golden Ticket online which is ‘officially’ endorsed by Dry July
7. Celebrate your success with other Dry Julyers at the ‘After Party’ - Details to be announced
Register for Dry July today - give your body a break from booze and help support NSW cancer patients treated at Prince of Wales Hospital. Do Dry July - log on to http://www.dryjuly.com
Interview and photo opportunities include:
• VIP’s, celebrities and guests during the Dry July Launch
• Ms. Leanne Zalapa – CEO POWHF
• Tina Clark POWHF Director and patient
• Tom O’Callaghan POWHF Chairman
• Phil Grove, Brett Macdonald, Kenny McGilvary – (Founders – Dry July)
• Professor Robyn Ward Professor of Medicine – Oncologist
• Professor Michael Friedlander - Oncologist
• Dr Michael Jackson radiation - Oncologist
To RSVP or to arrange an interview or photo opportunity, please contact:
Ph: 02 9319 3844 - Mob: 0414 821 957
Email:[email protected] Web: www.insightcommunications.net.au