RACV Insurance carried out an analysis of accidental damage claims by its members which showed that, in the past four years, more than 50 per cent of such claims related to electronic items such as computers, televisions, mobile phones and cameras.RACV Home Insurance General Manager Paul Northey said the growing presence of large flat screen televisions and portable computers in homes resulted in the increasing number of accidental damage claims.
This trend, coupled with the growth in the uptake of interactive gaming at home, has created a high-risk environment, especially for television sets.
“Damage to screens made up 84 per cent of all accidental television and computer claims last financial year”.“Some are the result of the damage caused when TVs or computers are being moved around the home or being knocked down. However, the increase in the use of interactive gaming at home has literally put televisions in harm’s way.”
Mr Northey said that an analysis of member’s claims for the past four years had shown a concerning upward trend in gamers, predominately children, losing control of their hand-held device which would then hit the screen.
“In the heat of the game players may lose control of their hand-held device and send it flying into the screen, which could leave them without a TV set, while it is repaired or replaced.
“People do need to take care to avoid damaging their television, or other valuables and furnishings in the room, when they are involved in interactive gaming” he said.
Mr Northey suggests a few simple safety tips:
– make sure all of the electrical cords and cables are secured and removed from the front of the television and the game-playing area
– secure the television on a stable surface and where possible attach it to the wall or bench with the approved fittings– acknowledge the risk when you or your children are playing interactive games and take the appropriate steps, including child supervision, to prevent damage to your television
– take care when moving your television or computer, or when cleaning them
“If you have active gamers in your home it is worthwhile reviewing your insurance policy to ensure you have the appropriate accidental damage option with your home and contents insurance,” he said.
Five top items replaced*.
1) Televisions – 33%
2) Computers including laptops – 26%
3) Mobile phones and personal communication items – 7%
4) Jewellery including watches and rings – 4%
5) Photographic equipment and accessories – 3%
6) Other: collectables, furniture, homewares, cycles etc – 27%
--About The Royal Automobile Club of Victoria (RACV)--
The Royal Automobile Club of Victoria (RACV) is run to benefit members through high quality service, great value products and wide range of member benefits. RACV is committed to representing members' interests in areas such as road safety and mobility, through advocacy and sponsorship of community programs.
It also offers a range of insurance policies from car insurance and home insurance to travel insurance, with member benefits that include discounts and savings.
P: 1300 727 542